cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Washed out colour on Asus VG27AQ1A when HDR is enabled

Soupladel
Level 10
I have 2x VG27AQ1A monitors i have been using in SDR mode because when i enabled HDR in Windows 10, the colours are really washed out on the desktop and in gaming.

I have installed the Asus drivers for the monitors and have also installed a separate ICC colour profile for my monitor, but when i enable HDR, the option to select a colour profile is blank and nothing is selectable.

I have read a few articles that suggested changing the brightness balance under Windows HD colour management, but that doesn't really help.

Is there something really obvious i am missing here or does anyone have any advice on how i might get HDR enabled and retain a good colour representation because having HDR enabled currently is a pointless exercise.
3 REPLIES 3

Soupladel
Level 10
I should add to this that i have the refresh rate set to 144Hz (using an RTX4090 via display port) and in the Nvidia Control Panel it only detects the monitors as 8bit, if i drop the refresh rate down to 120Hz i can now select 10Bit, but it makes no difference to the colours being washed out on desktop or in gaming conditions.

xeromist
I've read a lot of issues with Windows HDR so I'm not surprised. Just search this forum for "washed out" and there are multiple threads. Some people have had luck using a driver cleaner and a fresh install of Nvidia + monitor drivers. If you do find a solution, please share it.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
I've read a lot of issues with Windows HDR so I'm not surprised. Just search this forum for "washed out" and there are multiple threads. Some people have had luck using a driver cleaner and a fresh install of Nvidia + monitor drivers. If you do find a solution, please share it.

I am going to keep looking into this but i have arrived at a conclusion that the peak brightness of these monitors is not high enough to deliver a true HDR at 250Nits and this, combined with the poor handling of HDR in windows is the cause of the washed out HDR images unfortunately