cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zephyrus G15 GA503QS overheating and performance issues

Hermes123
Level 7

Hello community, sorry if my english is not the best, so I had a few problems with my g15,  it doesn't perform the same as others ( i have a friend that has the same g15 ) and in games it runs 20 fps slower and in 3Dmark his score is nerly 11.000 and mine is 8.657, what i notice is that i always thermal throttling the cpu more than the gpu, i tried undervolting, stoping the cpu boost and other things but none seems to work, i'm traying to not open the cooling system because the liquid metal. The notebook was send to rapair once to best buy because its seems that the liquid metal spiled and the motherboard died, they changed the hole motherboard for a new one. I had the 3070 version now I have de 3080.  If anyone has any advice or idea would be great. Thanks in advance

PD: I can't take it back to best buy because im from argentina

Well sorry for the grammar.

4 REPLIES 4

Buldzoid
Level 7

This is a bios issue, Asus needs to update the microcode for latest Windows 10 versions and Windows 11 any version for Ryzen systems.

AnotherRandomUs
Level 9

Hi Hermes,

I'd advise you to check power draw from CPU/GPU, along with peak frequencies and temperatures, when you run benchmarks/games, and make custom profiles depending of what is best for each scenario.

With my laptop, feeding more watts to the CPU makes little change in fps while gaming. So instead of using the 'turbo' profile that set the max power for both CPU and GPU, I use a profile that restricts CPU power to less than half the maximum it's capable of running with constant loads.

First thing I'd do is getting rid of Armoury Crate and use G-Helper, which is a -very- small footprint tool that let you tweak power profiles&fans for most of Asus laptops.

Then, run the benchmarks you use in each of the profiles monitoring power draw & temps, for example, I use OCCT which can graph these values over time making them more readable than for example HWinfo which is one of the most used tools for monitoring.

See what you gain with each profile, and create custom ones that restrict CPU draw when more watts does not improve performance, but increases heat, making the CPU throttle and the GPU not reaching the high frequencies it could reach if it would run colder, remember than the thermal system is shared for CPU&GPU so if the CPU runs hot it will make the GPU run also hotter than it would do running on its own.

For example, this is my balanced profile settings for CPU. You can see boost is disabled -that will make the CPU run way colder by itself-. Notice the CPU slow (sustained) load wattage is restricted to 35 when it could go as high as 130 -in my case-. I still let it spike to 75w if needed to avoid stutters while gaming. With this setting I can play triple A games at 4k at 60fps or more, no problem.

And as the CPU is not getting as hot as it would get if the power draw wasn't restricted, the GPU can high higher frequencies, so the laptop ends up running colder and with better performance.  Play around with these tools, see what results you get, comment back here.

AnotherRandomUs_0-1691610539231.png

Thanks for taking your time and answer my question. I finally had to open the cooling system to my surprise the gpu nearly didn`t have thermal paste ( and the little it had was dry) and the cpu the liquid metal was very bad distributed. so i changed everything using artic mx6 and Conductonaut from thermal grizzly  and not only it improved ( by 1500 point in 3d mark timespy ) but temp are looking great at 87 max 91 degrees. But still compared to others mine doesn`t perfom as well. So i will try your recommendation but i think maybe the silicon in my laptop particularly isn`t the best hahahaha bad luck 😞

I was thinking the same 1 year ago but now I changed my mindbench.png