cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

zephyrus duo GX551QS strange cooling system

mehdi_moha
Level 8
Hi everyone,

I switched from MSI titan series to asus zephyrus duo GX551qs. Still didnt get the logic for its fan! while gaming, I know it uses the fan and increases the rpm on turbo mode.
But while browsing and IGPU is on (using Radeon GPU) it is not using the fan! even when the cpu is on 57-60 degree! but I can see it lowers the temprature by 4-5.
I know it depends on my cpu usage, while I am on battery, the cpu is on extreme powersaving, and temperature is about 35-38.
But while charger is connected and its cpu usage increases, why it still not using the fan?
So I am wondering:
1- in battery mode, when I open several app and cpu usage increases, as the result the temp increases to 50-60, why it still not using fan?
2- Also when the charger is connected and I open several app (not running any gamr) and cpu usage increases, as the result the temp increases to 50-60, why it still not using fan?
3- Why GPU is always on extreme powersaving mode? is that the reason of keeping the fan off!
4- Does armoury crate turn on fan when windoes mode is selected? because it seems Asus locked powerplan and you can not change fan system setting in powerplan

P.S. I remember in the begining, it used the fan sometimes , but still to less. I cant remember which setting I changed that ruined that !

Thanks in advance88865
4 REPLIES 4

xeromist
If it can maintain 60c without that fan, that's fine. Modern silicon chips don't even throttle until 80c+ anyway. It does this so the user isn't bothered by fans when they aren't needed.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
If it can maintain 60c without that fan, that's fine. Modern silicon chips don't even throttle until 80c+ anyway. It does this so the user isn't bothered by fans when they aren't needed.

So you mean there is no problem with having 50-60 degree on CPU?
Actually I suspected that, my previous laptop was MSI GT73 7RF which is for 4 years ago, I didnt know about modern silicon chips ...

xeromist
It will not harm the chip and that's to be expected if the fan is low or off. Also note that mobile chips do tend to run hotter due to the constrained space so if you've had a desktop PC with even a stock cooler that's often cooler than a notebook. I would only be concerned if you get high idle temps with the fan running. That could indicate a problem with the cooling system.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
It will not harm the chip and that's to be expected if the fan is low or off. Also note that mobile chips do tend to run hotter due to the constrained space so if you've had a desktop PC with even a stock cooler that's often cooler than a notebook. I would only be concerned if you get high idle temps with the fan running. That could indicate a problem with the cooling system.

Thank you for your information.
I have 37-47 whith fan off on idle (silent or windows powersaving)
48-59 fan off on browsing, but usually something in background is increasing the cpu temp like downloading and update or a large file.
78-95 while heavy gaming like Resident Evil village ray tracing in on ultra setting.

Honestly on my previous laptop, MSI GT73 7RF I had lower fps, but never reached to 90 degree, but it seems Asus in gamin can reach to 90 -95 easily!

So if it is expected ?! :cool: