cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(Solved) GM501GS questions

madhacker3kxl
Level 9
I have a few question about the GM501GX-XS74.

• Thunderbolt 3

• Can it run external eGPU / external enclosure for PCI-E? Yes
    • Does it support incoming power from external devices to laptop? I am aware it will not power the laptop entirely but to supplement the main power adapter. Does not support incoming, obviously.
    • What is the current limit on it? USB-C mode 5V 3A

• The keyboard will turn off on battery after idle but it will not power back up after connecting to AC power. I have to go to Aura settings and apply the last settings. Is there any solution for this? The firmware has been updated to the latest version. Restart "Lighting Service".
  • On optimus mode the screen will randomly flicker. I am thinking it is a muxing issue between IGP and Nvidia. I had a the same issue with one of my old laptops and bios update fixed that issue. Is there any support place I can report this to? It is an issue existed since HD/UHD 620. Probably an Intel issue since it also exits in Linux OS. The problem does not exist in UEFI screen.

Edit: Added photo to show the flickering
Edit2: Marked as solved.
22 REPLIES 22

egonzalez7579
Level 7
I have the GU501GM, wich is the BestTry baby brother with a 1060 6gb
1 haven't tried- -Not sure why you want to have an eGPU, as any USB-C Video adapter, with the exception of displaylink adapters will run from the GTX card

2 notice the keyboard issue recently, I am using a semi clean windows install (used nt-lite to push in the drivers to windows 10 usb install)
Might try a different, not sure

3 Not sure

egonzalez7579 wrote:
I have the GU501GM, wich is the BestTry baby brother with a 1060 6gb
1 haven't tried- -Not sure why you want to have an eGPU, as any USB-C Video adapter, with the exception of displaylink adapters will run from the GTX card

2 notice the keyboard issue recently, I am using a semi clean windows install (used nt-lite to push in the drivers to windows 10 usb install)
Might try a different, not sure

3 Not sure

There is many reason to use eGPU even if it has gforce 1070 in it. The information is just for my curiosity. For some application I use my quadro card. I am using a clean install windows also.

I got this laptop to replace my massive workstation. It doesnt have the power as my workstation but the form factor of the laptop is nice.

Fun note, my last ROG laptop was G50V-A2 aka "space heater", which i still have. The ROG series has come a long way.

madhacker3kxl wrote:
There is many reason to use eGPU even if it has gforce 1070 in it. The information is just for my curiosity. For some application I use my quadro card. I am using a clean install windows also.

I got this laptop to replace my massive workstation. It doesnt have the power as my workstation but the form factor of the laptop is nice.

Fun note, my last ROG laptop was G50V-A2 aka "space heater", which i still have. The ROG series has come a long way.

Have you try NVidia site Drivers,

egonzalez7579 wrote:
Have you try NVidia site Drivers,

Yes, I currently have the latest Nvidia drivers from their site installed.

external eGPU adaptor has it's own power supply and cooing system.  Allows for high end cards and better graphics processing speed.  I have a Node Titan Thunderbolt - 3 that I can move between my ROG and my HP elite book.  Allows me to run auto cad, high end PC games and other gpu intensive apps without bogging down my laptop, not to mention I can run five additional monitors.

Clintlgm
Level 14
You can get drivers for your notebook at Asus Support Download
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Clintlgm wrote:
You can get drivers for your notebook at Asus Support Download

I am aware of that and does not answer anything.

madhacker3kxl wrote:
I am aware of that and does not answer anything.

It mean GFYS, and STFU. Don't aspect anything from support.

Try using only discrete graphic mode. See if the problem persist. Else, RMA or return.

ROG_HARDCORE wrote:
It mean GFYS, and STFU. Don't aspect anything from support.

Try using only discrete graphic mode. See if the problem persist. Else, RMA or return.

Chill out dude. There is no reason to be bitter about it. If you don't like something don't respond to it. Asus support is slow as snail but I got them to fix a lot of software issues; be it phones or computers. If someone else is having the same issues as me, it makes it easier to explain to them what is wrong.

No, flickering does not happen on Discrete mode.

People with your attitude makes people not come to these forums, ask questions, getting things solved.