OnAironaut
Level 7
System: Windows 11 Home 64 bit 22H2 build 22621.675 / BIOS 220
Battery or AC: Battery and AC
Model: ASUS ROG Zephyrus G14 (GA401IV)
Frequency of occurrence: Random, variable
Reset OS: Several times
Screenshot or video:

Using external sound card (at about 7 seconds into the video): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqjiW6Pi6WU
Using internal sound card (at about 26 seconds into the video): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKJD5rrhAcs

========================

Hello!

When listening to music, watching movies or doing anything else with sound, my computer audio suffers from micro stutters at random times. It sounds like little clicks, pops or crackles every once in a while.

This is terribly disrupting for me as I work with audio production.

This is not a sound card issue, as it occurs regardless of whether I am using the internal soundcard with Realtek drivers, or the external sound card with RME drivers. This suggests that in the signal chain stuttering takes place before the sound card.

I have been having this problem for a long time and have been looking for a solution everywhere to no avail. I have tried different versions of different drivers, I have even completely reset and reinstalled my computer several times.

I have also contacted ASUS support via MyASUS app, but I only get generic and useless answers like "check if your Windows is licensed" and "update your audio drivers".

My current findings and suspects are the following:

First, I have noticed that the microstutter seemingly disappears after disabling AMD display driver in Windows Device Manager --> Display Adapters ---> AMD Radeon(TM) Graphics ---> DISABLE

Second, I have read about the AMD fTPM issue that can cause microstutters, but there is no option in my BIOS version 220 to disable the fTPM and check if it is indeed the culprit.

Apparently the fTPM issue can be fixed by the new AMD AGESA V2 1.2.0.7 Microcode available to motherboard vendors and OEMs (ASUS in this case), and implementing this microcode into the BIOS. Is this BIOS update to be expected soon and for all machines suffering from the stutters?

Could anybody please help me solve this issue?

Thank you very much in advance,

JS
1 REPLY 1

Lindseykdev
Level 7

This is what fixed mine:

so i went into my Settings > Sound > Properties
after setting the Realtek as the default and clicking on it again, it shows the speaker settings and here are the specifics for my machine:

Provider: Realtek

Driver date: 6/28/2022

Driver version: 6.0.9373.1

General > Audio : don't allow

Set as default sound device: is default for audio

Output settings

Format: 16 bit, 48000 Hz (changing this from 24 bit to 16 bit) <------

I have the Zephyrus G14 - hope this helps!