cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GX703HS Advanced Optimus always forced when using external display

maxatv
Level 8
Hello All,

I have a GX703HS and when I use an external display my framrate noticeably dips in games like cyberpunk vs when running directly from the laptop and I believe its because everytime I connect to one nvidia force switches to the optimus and I am unable to select GPU only. I read that the front most usb c display port was the only input that supported direct from GPU but even this seems to not work https://www.ultrabookreview.com/47929-asus-rog-zephyrus-s17-review/ .

I have also followed ASUS guide and the game i'm testing cyberpunk is set to use the GPU and does so correctly when not hooked up to an external display.

Any Ideas what I could me missing or if this review is innacurate? Anyone successfully connect externally with the display coming directly from GPU?

Thank you all for your time!
3 REPLIES 3

xeromist
I'd suggest you try the HDMI port. That way you aren't having to guess and test DP over USB.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Thanks for the reply, I did try HDMI as well and it still forces optimus, nvidia does have a link that says it wont switch to dgpu when external monitor connected https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5097/~/nvidia-advanced-optimus-overview if so then that's sad but if anyone else ever figure out a way would be great to know as this does hurt gaming anytime you aren't using the built in screen

xeromist
Good find. I think that might be a physical limitation of how the ports are wired.

I know this may seem obvious but make sure the external display is using the same mode (resolution, color depth, refresh) as the internal panel and make sure they are mirrored (not extended). Having the display extended or at a higher resolution could negatively impact performance. Other than that I don't think there's a lot you can do, unfortunately.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…