cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GX701GX keyboard not working after firmware update

Level 7
I received an update notification from MyAsus yesterday telling that I need to update the KB Firmware update tool V2.2.4. However, after running the firmware updater my keyboard is now dead. The keyboard does not work in either Windows or Bios. I guess this is some kind of firmware problem.

I tried to find KB Firmware update tool V2.2.4 on the support website but I failed. The online chat service asks me to reinstall windows to solve a firmware problem which is totally bull****.

Anyone having the same problem please leave a comment under this thread and let's see if there is a solution. I don't want my 3k pounds laptop becomes useless trash.
16 REPLIES 16

Back_Pain
Level 7
I have the same problem. I have the GX701GVR and after downloading the ROG KB Firmware Update V2.2.4 from the MyASUS app.

Any solutions?

Contacted support and they sent me a file via email and now the issue is fixed.

Same thing happened to me with my GX701GWR, after digging a bit deeper I've found the hotfix tries to update the firmware for the recent BIOS 308 update, so if you didn't manage to flash it to 308 it will BSOD and brick your keyboard.
And of course MyAsus doesn't even bother to check nor does the firmware update tool what bios the notebook is running which is telling how little though asus puts in their software.
Support was essentialy clueless about the issue so I've filed for RMA.

Back Pain wrote:
Contacted support and they sent me a file via email and now the issue is fixed.

Can you please send me the link? Having the exact same issue. Some keys are not working.

Thanks

Has anyone solved the problem? Exactly the same situation with my gx701gv. The keyboard does not work at all, neither in Bios, or windows, only the touchpad.
My s/n is K2NRCV021120708A
My notebook become useless becouse of Asus mistake... Nice.

After 2 days of suffering, I found a solution.
After resetting win10, myasus prompted me to re-download the keyboard update, but the update was failing.
I found a folder with a log file and my problem was:
Tool Version : 2.2.4
Product Name : GX701GV
[Initialize] Start Flash : 20210103203630
[Initialize] GetKBType : 0
[Initialize] UnReg LightingService
[Initialize] Battery Power Level : 100
[Initialize] GetASUSDevice fail
[Initialize] GetITEDevice

After that I decided to find the original installation file for the firmware, which is located in the C/ProgramData/Asus/ASUS System Control Interface/AsusSoftwareManager/2 folder and is deleted immediately after an error in myasus.

In the original file, I found the keyboard firmware files. Then I solved the problem that stopping flashing process with error "[Initialize] GetASUSDevice fail".
Solution was wery simple, I downloaded KBFWUpdateTool_v1.0.5 and and moved the update file F0NK1100.GX701GV.308.bin to KBFWUpdateTool_v1.0.5/fw folder.
Then just run ROGKBFWUpdateTool.
END
All files you can download on my google drive https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lS01u9PueUBLGhVsX0Pak09XiJHkCPV6/view?usp=sharing.

P.S. I like ROG notebooks, but i hate asus support and asus suftware updaters!

This is the same issue on this topic in Reddit? https://www.reddit.com/r/ZephyrusG15/comments/mo8bm5/2021_g15_keyboard_firmware_update_in_myasus_app...

But I saw it's happening in one Zephyrus G15 (So far for 2 users)

NikolayE60 wrote:
After 2 days of suffering, I found a solution.
After resetting win10, myasus prompted me to re-download the keyboard update, but the update was failing.
I found a folder with a log file and my problem was:
Tool Version : 2.2.4
Product Name : GX701GV
[Initialize] Start Flash : 20210103203630
[Initialize] GetKBType : 0
[Initialize] UnReg LightingService
[Initialize] Battery Power Level : 100
[Initialize] GetASUSDevice fail
[Initialize] GetITEDevice

After that I decided to find the original installation file for the firmware, which is located in the C/ProgramData/Asus/ASUS System Control Interface/AsusSoftwareManager/2 folder and is deleted immediately after an error in myasus.

In the original file, I found the keyboard firmware files. Then I solved the problem that stopping flashing process with error "[Initialize] GetASUSDevice fail".
Solution was wery simple, I downloaded KBFWUpdateTool_v1.0.5 and and moved the update file F0NK1100.GX701GV.308.bin to KBFWUpdateTool_v1.0.5/fw folder.
END
All files you can download on my google drive https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lS01u9PueUBLGhVsX0Pak09XiJHkCPV6/view?usp=sharing.

P.S. I like ROG notebooks, but i hate asus support and asus suftware updaters!

Im having this problem now can i ask you for the download link thanks.

NikolayE60 wrote:

END

I have the same issue with my keyboard on Asus ROG Zephyrus M15 GU502LV
The MyASUS software tried to update Keyboard Firmware, but I'm not sure if it has affected the issue, because one time I just turned it off and disassembled my laptop to clean and vacuum the fans and after I finished it didn't work
Symptoms: Keyboard is not working, no RGB backlit lights, no On light, no power button light
That affected the different lights

I tried to update with different keyboard firmware with different versions of KBFWUpdateTool and with the new update FGA01100.GU502LV.405.bin from MyASUS by the NikolayE60's instructions, no one updated, I can't find the original firmware
The support doesn't help much, just offers to send my laptop to them for $89 for diagnostics
ASUS ROG Zephyrus M15 GU502LV