cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GX501 cpu overheat issue

championtuck
Level 7
Well, as per title, GX501 having overheat issue

i live in singapore. the ambient temperature is pretty high like 28-32 degree Celsius.
my gaming temperature on high end games like tomb raider, batman arkham knight, need for speed payback are very high.
my cpu temp can go as high as 99 degree celcius.

went to asus repair center in singapore and what they did was clean the fan and repaste. the temp was not improving and feedback from asus was within specification.

my warranty is until oct 2018. hope it didnt go bad by then 😞

ps: tried to undervolt cpu by 130mv... doesnt help at all
24 REPLIES 24

ROG_HARDCORE
Level 7
Wierd, I dont have issues. never reach 99C. GX501 is not a good robust gaming laptop. It simple can't.

I suggest turn on Eco mode in ROG Gaming center. for better temp. but GTX1060 level performance ( or worst )

My entire life of regret is buying GX501VI. 2699$ from US + TAX, end up buying a marketing gimmick. it just work, but not as advertised. Alot of issues as well.

well, the cpu temp is high... but is still working fine. but i doubt it can last long..

what is ur gaming temp?

ROG_HARDCORE
Level 7
Around 80+, maximum. Never reach 90+

thejebronie
Level 7
am in the same boat my cpu temp is going to 99 degress as well with game like battlefeild 1 , same for me I end up buying a marketing gimmick. it just work, but not as advertised. Alot of issues as well.
not even 3 mounth old and the battery only get charge to 30676 mWh at full charge and the f..ck an speaker to top it all up ....
i am trying to sell the laptop at a big loss and it wont even sell i am really piss off ....:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

ROG_HARDCORE
Level 7
I manage to overclock my Zephyrus to match the performance of ROG STRIX-GTX1080-O8G-GAMING.
Which peak at 1936Mhz GPU Clock, and memory setting by default.
I keep my room temperature aT 22C. With thermal grizzly Conductnout (liquid metal) applied to the cpu and gpu on zephyrus as well.

Most of my AAA games at High settings manage to reach 340Fps+- , with maximum temperature at 72C. I see no problem with such high clock speed, but the power adapter is hot for sure. Keeping the room at 22C require some energy as well. Just for fun btw.

both of u mention about marketing gimmick... what does it mean?

championtuck wrote:
both of u mention about marketing gimmick... what does it mean?

when something is advertised and sold as something far better than it originally is,

making customers who eventually purchased it go: why did i buy into this advertising bull**** for this crap? i shouldda known betta.

TL;DR: a POS (piece of Shi-) marketed as POG (Piece of Gold)
no siggy, saw stuff that made me sad.

ROG_HARDCORE wrote:
I manage to overclock my Zephyrus to match the performance of ROG STRIX-GTX1080-O8G-GAMING.
Which peak at 1936Mhz GPU Clock, and memory setting by default.
I keep my room temperature aT 22C. With thermal grizzly Conductnout (liquid metal) applied to the cpu and gpu on zephyrus as well.

Most of my AAA games at High settings manage to reach 340Fps+- , with maximum temperature at 72C. I see no problem with such high clock speed, but the power adapter is hot for sure. Keeping the room at 22C require some energy as well. Just for fun btw.

I have a question regarding the thermal grizzly conductonaut liquid metal you used sir, isn't it bad for aluminium heat sinks? Is the heat sink used in the gx501 not aluminium?
The reason I asked is because I'm planning to use liquid metal on my gx501 but I'm not sure for the life of me what kind of metal is used on the gx501 heatsink.

CoffeeAddictGuy wrote:
I have a question regarding the thermal grizzly conductonaut liquid metal you used sir, isn't it bad for aluminium heat sinks? Is the heat sink used in the gx501 not aluminium?
The reason I asked is because I'm planning to use liquid metal on my gx501 but I'm not sure for the life of me what kind of metal is used on the gx501 heatsink.

Being using for month now. Its copper btw, not aluminium. So far so good.
1. Just make sure seal the surrounding before using liquid metal.
2. Make sure handle liquid metal carefully as it may cause health issues if breath or get into your body.