cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

asus zephyrus touchpad issues

syarbrou
Level 7
I just purchase an Asus Zephyrus laptop and although the touchpad is not the greatest, it's very problematic in games. I have the latest drivers all around as updated whats on the website. Shows the Asus precision touchpad drivers 11.0.0.25. When I'm in games, and try to move around and turn at the same time, the touchpad doesn't work. So I'm holding down the "W" key to move forward, and trying to look left and right with the touchpad. It fails to turn until I stop moving. Plus a lot of times when I click the mouse buttons it doesn't work. The closest I got to it working is to disable the tap click, double tap, two and three and four finger gestures. Basically neuter the device. Plus set the sensitivity all the way to max. Then it's OK but still has times it fails to respond. Any thoughts on how to resolve this? I've tried some of the suggestions for different drivers but they don't seem to work. Should be noted in the device manager it shows a HID Mouse and in the Human Interface Devices it shows the Asus Precision Touchpad. I do not have any other mice installed by the way. Thoughts?

Thanks.

Steve
5 REPLIES 5

xeromist
syarbrou wrote:
I'm holding down the "W" key to move forward, and trying to look left and right with the touchpad. It fails to turn until I stop moving.

What you are describing is a feature to keep the touchpad from accidentally registering if you brush it with your palm while typing. This is sometimes referred to as palm rejection. If it's available you would have to change/disable the setting in the touchpad configuration.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

syarbrou
Level 7
Yeah there is a setting called sensitivity. I think that's what would correlate to what you are saying but doesn't seem to change max or min. No off option. I oddly switched from the precision touchpad drivers to the built in Windows HID-compliant touch pad drivers and it's "better". I still have times that I put my finger on the touchpad and try and move and nothing. Then lift up my finger and put it back down again and it responds. Not great when you are playing a game and get killed because your action didn't happen.

Steve

syarbrou wrote:
Yeah there is a setting called sensitivity. I think that's what would correlate to what you are saying but doesn't seem to change max or min. No off option. I oddly switched from the precision touchpad drivers to the built in Windows HID-compliant touch pad drivers and it's "better". I still have times that I put my finger on the touchpad and try and move and nothing. Then lift up my finger and put it back down again and it responds. Not great when you are playing a game and get killed because your action didn't happen.

Steve

Well, what I'm referring to is a feature on some systems where the touchpad is effectively disabled while the keyboard is in use. But upon rereading your post it sounds like this is an intermittent issue which wouldn't correspond to an on/off setting.

It could just be general touchpad flakiness. In general I have found touchpads to be frustrating for gaming. I'll use the touchpad for work but I carry a mouse for gaming. As far as I know nobody really makes a "gaming" touchpad for laptops. Touchpad designs are all extremely similar so all the laptop manufacturers are buying from the same pool of touchpad producers.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

syarbrou wrote:

Steve

May I ask how you did the switch? I have the exact same issue but I don't use the touchpad for gaming - I always go with a mouse. Touchpads have always been bad for gaming to be honest.

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Wondering if you may want to disable the additional features of the touchpad if they are causing problems.

If you didn't already know, you can normally quickly tap on the touchpad to left-click (which can also be used for 'tap and drag') instead of pressing the touchpad button.
Some people never use this feature which can cause problems when you accidentally brush the touchpad, so this may be something you want to try to disable if possible as well as any other 'special' touchpad features that you don't need or care about.

Not sure if it can help or if it will make much difference, but just wanted to run it by you. Thanks.