cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The GL553VD Odissey: Dual GPU Drivers faulty and worsening since 2017 - solved?

B0N3M4N
Level 7
[SOLVED] Just use the 442.59 Driver from the Driver Page of Nvidia if you got a GL553VD, that seems to be the most stable right now.

Hello everyone,

I've been using my GL553VD Laptop(which tbh is an FX553VD) for some good ass time, and I love it. Being a computer scientist I just have to use it a lot and casually play around with games on it.

That said I've been seeing both Asus and Nvidia kinda dropping hard the support when it comes down to it, especially the GPU.

So, the thing is that this Laptop seems to have some problems reagarding the dedicated GPU stability(an 4GB 1050) when it comes down to Drivers: it kinda disables itself until reboot if you do stuff that "weirds it out", which means basically increasing and reducing the cargo on it.

The best example I can give is when you, when waiting for a game to load up, switch up to a browser and check your mail and stuff. This seems to create some issues between the APU and the GPU, since the GPU manages the Game and the APU manages the Browser/Light app, and it crashes the GPU until the next Laptop reboot.

That said I hoped that with some BIOS or driver updates there could be some bugfixing regarding this management issue: I was wrong.

Basically the only "stable" driver for this GPU is the 385.73, it ocasionally crashes the GPU, but it gives no bluescreen and annoying stuff that just straight up crashes your PC/Gaming session. All and I mean ALL of the other drivers that came out after that(distributed by Asus or Nvidia) seems to worsen the thing: sometimes it just crashes a game because the GPU hangs up or it just straight up goes to a bluescreen, again given by some problems with the Nvidia drivers, giving too much of a timeout on the GPU itself.

I kinda tried everything and I've given up hope in using anything that goes after the 385.73, but I want to know if anybody here, maybe with the same experience as mine, or maybe as a different one, got any new ideas about what to do to improve the stability of the GPU. I'd be really glad to get some new stuff that isn't like "update BIOS/GPU drivers": I've already tried that and you already know how it ends.
10 REPLIES 10

Tor_Spo
Level 8
B0N3M4N wrote:
Hello everyone,

I've been using my GL553VD Laptop(which tbh is an FX553VD) for some good ass time, and I love it. Being a computer scientist I just have to use it a lot and casually play around with games on it.

That said I've been seeing both Asus and Nvidia kinda dropping hard the support when it comes down to it, especially the GPU.

So, the thing is that this Laptop seems to have some problems reagarding the dedicated GPU stability(an 4GB 1050) when it comes down to Drivers: it kinda disables itself until reboot if you do stuff that "weirds it out", which means basically increasing and reducing the cargo on it.

The best example I can give is when you, when waiting for a game to load up, switch up to a browser and check your mail and stuff. This seems to create some issues between the APU and the GPU, since the GPU manages the Game and the APU manages the Browser/Light app, and it crashes the GPU until the next Laptop reboot.

That said I hoped that with some BIOS or driver updates there could be some bugfixing regarding this management issue: I was wrong.

Basically the only "stable" driver for this GPU is the 385.73, it ocasionally crashes the GPU, but it gives no bluescreen and annoying stuff that just straight up crashes your PC/Gaming session. All and I mean ALL of the other drivers that came out after that(distributed by Asus or Nvidia) seems to worsen the thing: sometimes it just crashes a game because the GPU hangs up or it just straight up goes to a bluescreen, again given by some problems with the Nvidia drivers, giving too much of a timeout on the GPU itself.

I kinda tried everything and I've given up hope in using anything that goes after the 385.73, but I want to know if anybody here, maybe with the same experience as mine, or maybe as a different one, got any new ideas about what to do to improve the stability of the GPU. I'd be really glad to get some new stuff that isn't like "update BIOS/GPU drivers": I've already tried that and you already know how it ends.

you should try to install windows to another disk and see if your current installation is just corrupted and is your vrm's contacting the heat sink correctly, maybe time to repaste and add thermal pads / gooye like substance K5 pro or something don't remember the name just now.

Tor_Spo wrote:
you should try to install windows to another disk and see if your current installation is just corrupted and is your vrm's contacting the heat sink correctly, maybe time to repaste and add thermal pads / gooye like substance K5 pro or something don't remember the name just now.

Tbh my Windows Installation is already in another disk, since I've upgraded the PC with an SSD M.2, the problem has never changed tho, and I'm seeing many, almost every person with this Laptop model, having this issue, which is why I want to give more awareness to the fact and see if there can be any permanent solution about it.

I can't even completely disable the APU drivers, because my screen would go black otherwise, on the other hand an installation of Linux that I've got on another partition has never had problems with the GPU, and the performance are around the same of the Windows one, which really doesn't explain how Nvidia gives so little attention to these enormous problems with their GPU drivers.

I might need to update this thread, since a solution just came out(luckly) around a week later.

Usually I just test around all of the nvidia driver versions I can found and every single one of them have some issues, even the best working one(which was the 385.73) had some problems with long GPU usage, which means it just didn't work after 8 hours or so or load and you had to fully restard the computer(still better than getting a bluescreen tho), which of course is not good for working, because it may crash your workspace after a certain amount of time and make you lose all of the progress.

That said, I just found out that a newly release driver, not an Asus one but one from the Nvidia Drivers page, has come out and it's more stable than the previous one.
The driver I'm reporting is the 442.59, and it also requires you to install the Nvidia Control Panel from the Microsoft Store, but it works better than the other one, no more random crashing and having to reboot the Laptop, or getting a bluescreen with other drivers.

I'd suggest for GL553VD users to stick to this driver as much as they can, you may try some new ones but it's at your own risk, at least you know that you got a stable driver to get back to.

raju2529
Level 7
you are computer scientist , evnthough you posted a question.
you have highend laptop with high graphics card then my asus laptop r542uq intel i5 7200u with 940mx 2gb gddr5.
i always install latest graphics DCH based whql driver from intel and from nvidia. i never got crashees , no bsods while playing heavy games .
i have latest intel graphics driver 27.20.100.7922 and nvidia 442.59 . with latest intel ME firmware downloaded from lenovo .

use only DCH based driver , and see the difference . currently lpatop running windows 10 1909 64bit 18363.720
Intel i5 7200U_ Nvidia 940MX _Windows_11_Enterprise_64bit_22H2_buildno_22621.754

hello obviously i use the same laptop and yes i have the same problems with me and i am using the nvdia 382.53 driver it disables itself.
I do not know inteli, I am changing, I am not sure if it is a difference
do you use discord? we can have more instant conversations from there
my english is not good so i use google translate 😞

raju2529
Level 7
nvidia latest geforce DCH WHQL hotfix stable driver is 445.78
you can download from here
https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5009/kw/geforce%20hotfix/session/L3RpbWUvMTU4NjE...
Intel i5 7200U_ Nvidia 940MX _Windows_11_Enterprise_64bit_22H2_buildno_22621.754

raju2529 wrote:
nvidia latest geforce DCH WHQL hotfix stable driver is 445.78
you can download from here
https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5009/kw/geforce%20hotfix/session/L3RpbWUvMTU4NjE...

I tried the version but I do not understand.
There are fps drop in 2 games i play.
Like no other game but still low fps .
I wanted to try the 385.73 version too, but I couldn't find any download link, is it the right version?

ShiroiHono,

for DCH based notebooks desktops driver
https://international.download.nvidia.com/Windows/445.78hf/445.78-desktop-notebook-win10-64bit-inter...

for STANDARD based notebooks desktops driver
https://international.download.nvidia.com/Windows/445.78hf/445.78-desktop-notebook-win10-64bit-inter...

for more , see my own post in another forum
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/nvidia-inc-released-new-geforce-dch-standard-w...