cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strix Scar II extreme overheating even AFTER REPASTING/UNDERVOLTING/DUST CLEANING

markec872
Level 7
Please help me because i am so depressed and i dont know what should i do next...

I'll try to explain as fast and simple as possible...
So I bought my brand new ASUS ROG STRIX SCAR 2 GL704GW laptop for 2200 euros 7months ago... Configuraition is i7 8750H, 115W RTX 2070 (FULL FAT ONE - CLOCKS UP TO 1800MHZ BY FACTORY) 16GB DDR4, 512/1TB SSD/HDD. Okay everything was fine until i noticed somehow some crazy throttleingg (didnt saw it before and didnt even watch fps to be honest bcs i have 144hz and for me 100fps is the same as 144 so yeah...) Okay I tryed undervolting and it didnt help. After that i opened the laptop and what i saw was compared to horror film... Dust everywhere, exhaust tunnels were full of dust adn laptop couldnt breath normally. Okay, i cleaned everything to perfection and i belived it will help me... I just forgot to mention that temps on full load were up to 100 for cpu and 87 for gpu celsius with fans spinning for cpu was up to 7500 RPM and 7000RPM for gpu. After cleaning from dust temps were the same but clocks were a lot higher as well as the fans were a lot quiter (at full load cpu fan up to 6700 and gpu 5800 rpm and clocks before cleaning for gpu WATCH NOW before were record 1215 mhz and after cleaning highest that i saw was 1895mhz and for me thats just "WOOOOOW" good job for that asus...
But the problem is CPU, that little ***** is heating to much, during the casual gaming CPU up to 100 celsius, its never under 95 never no matter which game i play (minecraft, cod modern warfare beta 2019, league of legends, pubg, rainbow six siege, always around 95 to 100 celsius...)

Somehow u came here and still reading okay... What i did next is opening this thing again and completaly i mean completaly dissembly everything and cleaned all thermal paste, repasted every single piece that was pasted originally including CPU, GPU, VRAM, POWER UNITS, GPU MEMORY UNITS ETC... And guess what temps didnt change for a single degree. I used high quality Arctic Silver MX4 2019 edition (if i am not wrong it has conductivity up to 6.7 W/mk. Firstly i bought Liquid metal which is 10 times better but to be honest i didnt have balls to play with it on this expensive machine so i putted standard thermal compound instel of liquid metal... After that i closed everything and undervolteld cpu's core/cache voltage offset by -100.6 milivolts... After all that hardwork i didnt still see 1% of improvment. Please be kind and help me. Also check pictures of laptop's insade as well as the temperatures that i am dealing with.

WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK WHY IS THERE NO THERMAL IMPROVMENTS BUT ONLY PERFORMANCE IMPROVMENTS WHICH INCLUDES EXTREME GPU CLOCK THAT WAS BEFORE UP TO 1215mhz AND NOW AMLMOST 2000MHZ AND EVEN AFTER CPU UNDERVOLTING TEMPS DIDNT GO DOWN...

NOTE: HW MONITOR SCREENSHOTS TEMPS ARE AFTER REPASTING, AND ARMOURY CRATE TEMPS AND CLOCKS ONE WITH A LOVER GPU CLOCK IS BEFORE REPASTING AND WITH HIGHER GPU CLOCK AFTER REPASTING...

Thanks to everyone that wants to help.
1 REPLY 1

PadreousMaximus
Level 7
I think yoiu answered your own question... the 704gw has a 2070 but it shouldnt go higher than 1600mhz as theyre locked by nvidia. Unless Im wrong, but I do know theyre designed to throttle...

I dno how you got higher than that, but my stock speeds are between 1200 and 1460mhz...
Going as high as you are, i THINK youre pushing the unit beyond its actual capabilities with the fitted cooler... and i dont think paste would make a difference when youre pushing it like his.. Unless you get a cooling pad under it with fans or you keep it in a cool room with cool ambient temps below 21degrees... (or a liquid cooler but thats another discussion as im specifcally refering to the fitted cooler here)

I could be wrong, but lookin at my config, which hasnt been changed all that much, my gpu is running at 1460mhz in game/turbo mode with fans on medium and my temps dont go over 85degrees.... without skipping a beat (knock on wood) BUT i havent found the need to try to increase that speed as yet.
I probably will at some point if a game I really like isnt performing...

In any case, I cant think of any other solution that you havent already tried... also I guess it depends on the heat thats generated by your HDD or M.2... as Ive noticed my 1TB M.2 Samsung 970Pro NVMe ssd doesnt perform as well as my 1TB Samsung 860Pro Sata3 2.5' SSD which is also fitted. This is due to heat BUT also the fact that apparently the NVMe doesnt support rapid mode... which is a larger cache config (not over provisioning)... but im gettin speeds upwards of 3400MB/s on the M.2... and 5400MB/s on the 2.5SSD with rapid mode on... rapdi mode off, its 560mb/s solid without skipping a beat BUT it gets much hotter...

The M.2 does heat up faster and sustins that heat for longer due to size and component build form factor.... if you have a mechanical 2.5 HDD then that too will generate heat... if youre using the stock Intel M.2 that came with the unit, then you'll notice some stupid inconsistant performance and temps... I just use mine as a mirror/backup in case of failure now... Also check your ram... mine came with samsung 2666mhz single 8gb stick, and i just got another identical stick at teh same speed and model type.... and i noticed these dont get as hot as some other units of the same build using kingston ... so my temps have been ok compared to other 704's which use different components...

If its THAT bad, id take to the service centre and ask them to look into it..

Good luck