Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG STRIG G15 Advantage Edition - Fan Noise

Shauntre
Level 8
Hello,

please help me to shut up this laptop.
SInce a few weeks the Laptop gets noiser by each day.

No matter if I use the silent profie, Windows or Custom profile with all the sliders for power delivery to the minimum.
This thing just spins the fans.

It constantly shows over 70°C, even the air coming out of the laptop is not even a touch warmer then room temperature.
I got no applications (Except for ASUS delivered software and radeon software) in Autostart - Literally nothing else.

Right now the laptop is spinning the fans again. The CPU usage is at 4% and GPU at 4% as well.
The only times it gets a little quiter is on battery mode, but the battery run time is way lower than few months ago.

I am totally out of ideas.
There is nothing on this machine running that would push system usage to these temps.
I guess the temp readings are bad.
Just noticed that even in BIOS the CPU should sit at over 90°C.
Something does not seem right here.

All drivers are on the latest update.
Using WIN10

What can I do?
6 REPLIES 6

mnlk21
Level 9
did you try to open your laptop to clean dust in your fans?

i open mine every 2 month to clean up, and there is always a lot of dust to remove

mnlk21 wrote:
did you try to open your laptop to clean dust in your fans?

i open mine every 2 month to clean up, and there is always a lot of dust to remove

Cheers mnkl21.

Tlhanks for the reply.
Well I did not think of that and followed up.
It was suprising how much dust was collected in the fans.
I cleaned the board of dust, vacuumed the fans (make sure to hold them still while doing it) and blowed out the vents.

I also found that overclock setting for the processor in the radeon software.

It definetly helped with thermals in the laptop.
But did nothing to my problem.

I further deactivated all autstart services etc that I do not need and wen on to frequently check in armory crate which software is running the GPU.

Neither thing helped.
Out of nowhere the fans ramping up.

And with 20°C it is not really hot in my room.
But also a test to place it outside in the winter cold here at 10°C did nothing to the problem.

Suddendly the fans are going wild.
https://www.reddit.com/r/ASUS/comments/m5nkdh/asus_rog_strix_g15_fans_are_loud_and_wont_stop/

I found the reddit thread above with a similar issue.
Seems I be not the only one.

Also just while writing this post. The fans ramp up. Go down, ramp up again.

NickT
Level 9
I have the same unit you do. Its very quiet when not gaming. Gaming on Star Trek Online mostly shouldnt make the fan get so noisy. My other "unnamed" branded laptop is silent when running the game. Its 12 years old. I'd expect it to be running the fans a lot when its play say Mech Warrior 5 or most likely Battlefield 2042.

Glad im not the only one who thought that, other than the battery life at 1.5 hours for a game. Its an excellent laptop.

puppetma3ter
Level 7
Shauntre wrote:
Hello,

please help me to shut up this laptop.
SInce a few weeks the Laptop gets noiser by each day.

No matter if I use the silent profie, Windows or Custom profile with all the sliders for power delivery to the minimum.
This thing just spins the fans.

It constantly shows over 70°C, even the air coming out of the laptop is not even a touch warmer then room temperature.
I got no applications (Except for ASUS delivered software and radeon software) in Autostart - Literally nothing else.

Right now the laptop is spinning the fans again. The CPU usage is at 4% and GPU at 4% as well.
The only times it gets a little quiter is on battery mode, but the battery run time is way lower than few months ago.

I am totally out of ideas.
There is nothing on this machine running that would push system usage to these temps.
I guess the temp readings are bad.
Just noticed that even in BIOS the CPU should sit at over 90°C.
Something does not seem right here.

All drivers are on the latest update.
Using WIN10

What can I do?

I have the same problem did you find a solution for it? what RPM does your fan stuck? mine stuck at 4300 RPM

puppetma3ter wrote:
I have the same problem did you find a solution for it? what RPM does your fan stuck? mine stuck at 4300 RPM

Cheers.
No i have not find a solution.
My fan is stuck on silent at 3.000rpm minimum, but frequently goes up to 3.900rpm

So I investigated further and found what seems to be the problem.
I used HWInfo to check how much power the CPU drawsi n idel (one youtube video playing in the background)

There is a significant difference if the laptop is plugged in or not in regards to fan speed and noise. If you use the laptop on battery, even in the same power mode "silent" the laptop is much quieter.

In HWInfo I could see that the CPU gets an average of 8-12watts more than on battery mode. Which in this case is the double in idle.

Silent mode on power supply: 16 - 22watts
Silent mode on battery - 8-12 watts

It is still bothering me that AMD does not allow any control over the CPU on mobile.
This was one of the big selling points of the Ryzen lineup and is just not available on mobile versions of the CPUS.

What a shame.
Asus seem to have abandoned this product anyway.
I do not see that there will be a fix to this and I also want to point out that the official support from ASUS is lacking of any interest in customer satisfaction. 😕

I tried to contact ASUS Germany as I am living in Germany.
But you cannot even contact them.
As it ssems it was the last product from ASUS that I purchased. 😞

Hey, I had the same issue. Where fans ramped up unnecessarily , This worked for me try it out.
I noticed this issue after the new updates to armory crate and bios. 
Uninstall the armory crate and download a previous version , I don't have this issue anymore