cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Gl552JX HDD bay doors plastic tabs broke

RogNogNeo
Level 7
Hi all,

This is my second Asus ROG laptop. I noticed the same issue while upgrading my friend's laptop too. The bay doors of his is now a little off with five broken tabs. Mine just happened a day ago. I got four tabs broken. Here 56519 are the corresponding location of those points.

This all happened even when we followed the guide on Asus website, taking extreme care not to apply force or lift more than 45 degrees.

Here are my questions.

Is it worth RMA-ing this?

Is this part available in India or Asia Pacific regions?

Or is there a quick McGyver solution for seating it back to normal?

I know this is a very trivial issue, I apologize for being so pedantic.
4 REPLIES 4

Clintlgm
Level 14
Well its not Trivial, and you are the first person to complain about this. I seriously doubt that Asus would consider this a manufacturing defect. So RMA will most likely cost you a new case as it appears the broken off tabs are on the case itself. Some one from your area will have to comment on availability of case replacement items. I would assume Asus Repair would be able to replace the bottom cover.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Clintlgm wrote:
Well its not Trivial, and you are the first person to complain about this. I seriously doubt that Asus would consider this a manufacturing defect. So RMA will most likely cost you a new case as it appears the broken off tabs are on the case itself. Some one from your area will have to comment on availability of case replacement items. I would assume Asus Repair would be able to replace the bottom cover.

Well, I did search the rog forums and found similar issues in older ROG models. It IS an example of poor engineering.

This is one such case: https://rog.asus.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-41293.html

I actually contacted ASUS India and enquired this. They agreed for an RMA, but they told me a replacement would take more than 15 to 20 days + shipping window. I've not decided yet. I've requested a local repair shop to check with his dealers for this particular part.

jrbdmb
Level 7
The tabs are not on the main case, but on the door. Unfortunately I broke three of these tabs off of mine. :mad: The door still stays on so it isn't an urgent matter, but I'm sure I'll eventually look at a replacement.

IMHO using four or five screws would have been preferable to two screws with these fragile plastic tabs.

jose_jayant
Level 7
mine three tabs are broken.But i dont find the broken pieces.I did RMA in the past for some other issues. Guess the engineers might have broken my tabs.