cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New G733 Owner - How do I reset my laptop back to factory default?

kitepower
Level 7
Hi I am a new owners of an Asus Rog Scar Strix G733 laptop.

If i want to reset it back to the factory default settings how do I do that?

Thanks
3 REPLIES 3

Jesseinsf
Level 10
Get rid of the OEM image and install a virgin copy of windows. You can download the drivers and software from the support page. Doing this will prevent a lot of future issues.

Jesseinsf wrote:
Get rid of the OEM image and install a virgin copy of windows. You can download the drivers and software from the support page. Doing this will prevent a lot of future issues.

If i were to do a clean install where would i find my Windows Key to register it?
Normally there have been a windows sticker on other computers I have owned, which contained the reg key, but I do not see one on this laptop.

xeromist
That arrangement changed a number of years ago. For a while keys were embedded in hardware and now Windows 10 just fingerprints your hardware so it can restore your license from bare hardware. If you are prompted for a key during Windows install you just click the link at the bottom of the screen saying you don't have a key and Windows will reactivate once connected to the Internet after the installation. An important point is that it must be the same version of Windows, so if you had a Home version you may not activate a Pro or Enterprise version of Windows.

I should also point out that your machine has a restore partition by default. If you wipe the drive and install clean you will no longer have it. I personally prefer this and would never go back to a factory configuration on any notebook, but if that's something you want then one way to achieve that would be to take out the boot drive and replace it with a new one before the clean install. Keep the old one in a box for a rainy day.

To answer your original question, Windows 10 makes things pretty easy. Just click Start and begin typing "reset this pc". Windows 10 reset has a few options from one that preserves data to one that wipes everything.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…