cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Asus ROG GL503VD High Pitch Sound

Xenoclix
Level 7
Hey guys.

Dont know much about the new gen of laptops and what they suppose to be running as.

But i just purchased a ASUS ROG GL503VD and when i turned it on and leaving it idle and such i get a very high pitch sound from the back left of the laptop near ESC.

I have linked a youtube clip with sound.

Let me know if thats just normal or something wrong. Thanks.

Also when i start playing games i hear the fan get louder what seems fine. But the high pitch sound still there.

https://youtu.be/hF_t1tmSGJ0

PS. Thanks for the thread move. Didnt see more forum cats on my phone!
3 REPLIES 3

Korth
Level 14
It sounds like GPU coil whine. But since it's adjacent to your AC power plug it's most likely the onboard charging circuit or power supply. I'm guessing the sound is an oscillating rectifier diode/bridge because one or more of the associated smoothing caps has failed.

The good news is that it would probably be a trivial repair at any qualified electronics shop, whether they replace the whole module or just solder out failed component. Much easier/cheaper than repair/replacement of mainboard VRMs or GPU VRMs. The bad news is that it'll probably get worse, noisier and noisier until diode breakdown finally surges power through a fuse and kills the whole power module.

I've heard much worse but this is still pretty bad and I think it should definitely qualify for RMA.

But you'll have to wait until someone official from @ASUS responds to this thread.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Thanks for the reply.

So i took it into the shop and they showed the laptop around to all staff with their expression surprised haha.

Anyway they replaced it no questions asked and have me another one. Teated it there and worked.

Didnt really tell me the problem though.

Xenoclix wrote:
Didnt really tell me the problem though.

There is no problem ... not for you anymore, anyhow ... lol, enjoy your new laptop.

Glad it worked out well. Kinda surprised that unit passed factory QC, but these things do happen and ASUS should be able to fix/swap the defective part pretty easily.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]