cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gl703gs bios 310

Sayid_Jarah
Level 7
Hello i was wondering if someone could help me out and help me locate BIOS 310 for this laptop (the last BIOS that supports Undervolt for 8th Gen Intel)

Asus have pulled this from their site and the laptop is a toaster without throttlestop.

If somone can send me it id be ever so greatful thank you.
CURRENT ASUS ITEMS I OWN:
-ASUS ROG SWIFT GSYNC MONITOR
-ASUS GL703GS gtx 1070 laptop
-ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO III ROG MOBO

PREVIOUSLY OWNED ITEMS:
G750JX ROG LAPTOP
p8z68v-pro
-ASUS STRIKER EXTREME II
-G751JT ROG LAPTOP
-ASUS MAXIMUS HERO II ROG
-ASUS STRIX GTX 970

20 REPLIES 20

hexaae
Level 12
I have the same laptop, unfortunately forced to BIOS 314 today by a Windows update (while I kept away for months from optional update 311).
Here is 310, let me know if manual downgrade works or Windows will sill force BIOS update through Win update (maybe would be a slick move to disable System Firmware from Device Manager...).

https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApMUGr0cuN39goUIHLlL42SVDsdPVg?e=sd2kXA BIOS 310 (hope won't break forum rules since was an ASUS public download after all...)
--
ASUS ROG Strix GL703GS, GTX 1070 8GB, 32GB RAM, 1920x1080 144Hz G-Sync laptop screen, external monitor UWQHD 3440x1440 Mi Monitor, NVMe 4x, 8BitDo Arcade Stick, EasySMX X10 controller, ROG Strix Carry mouse

hexaae wrote:
I have the same laptop, unfortunately forced to BIOS 314 today by a Windows update (while I kept away for months from optional update 311).
Here is 310, let me know if manual downgrade works or Windows will sill force BIOS update through Win update (maybe would be a slick move to disable System Firmware from Device Manager...).

Manual downgrade is working. Restore old driver and select first option (Software is not working with new driver or something like that), after that windows is not forcing you into updates anymore, for now... And I hate forced updates! I'm on route to install Linux on my laptop!

hexaae wrote:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApMUGr0cuN39goUIHLlL42SVDsdPVg?e=sd2kXA BIOS 310 (hope won't break forum rules since was an ASUS public download after all...)

Thank you for the file and instructions! Much appreciated!

You're welcome.
--
ASUS ROG Strix GL703GS, GTX 1070 8GB, 32GB RAM, 1920x1080 144Hz G-Sync laptop screen, external monitor UWQHD 3440x1440 Mi Monitor, NVMe 4x, 8BitDo Arcade Stick, EasySMX X10 controller, ROG Strix Carry mouse

hexaae
Level 12
Maybe disabling it would be even better to not risk future updates either... Doing this before you rebooted and manually downgraded to 310 BIOS?
Or you just rolled back through Device Manager and it automatically reinstalled previous BIOS?
--

hexaae wrote:
Maybe disabling it would be even better to not risk future updates either... Doing this before you rebooted and manually downgraded to 310 BIOS?
Or you just rolled back through Device Manager and it automatically reinstalled previous BIOS?

First I manualy downgraded, then restored old driver (it do not restore old driver anyway), then rebooted. In exactly this order. Now I even disabled firmware.

hexaae
Level 12
This is crazy anyway...
Cinebench R15
before (BIOS 310+ThrottleStop): 1230, after BIOS 314: 933 (!!) it's a performance disaster: like having a laptop degraded to gen before i7-8750h!!
Even creating Windows power profiles as an indirect workaround to simulate ThrottleStop are useless: I've tested with CPU max 20% usage capped, and acts exactly the same as no cap: 3900MHz 96°C (!!), then thermal throttles to 2700MHz 80°C the rest of the time. This means this crazy Intel lock ignores even Windows power consumption settings!

3D Mark CPU Score (Time Spy)
before (BIOS 310+ThrottleStop): 6886, after BIOS 314: 5739

We bought a laptop for 1900€ that 2-3 years later works like a 1400€ laptop. ASUS should refund customers.
Thank you Intel+ASUS: for sure my next PC will be from another brand and with Ryzen.

ASUS MUST PROVIDE AN OPTION TO RE-ENABLE UNDERVOLTING THROUGH BIOS for those who think speed is more important than extreme security.
--

matau
Level 9
Guys please help me. My windows just updated my firmware and my throttlestop does not work anymore...
Without throttlestop my CPU cores are 85C on freshly repasted cores.

How do you guys downgrade the bios?

hexaae
Level 12
Read above. Probably the best procedure is:
1. disable Device Manager: Firmware > System Firmware. Or RMB and choose Properties, Rollback driver option + disable System Firmware (from menu select View > Hidden devices if you need...).
2. after you put 'GL703GS-AS.310' in C:\ root *, reboot, enter the BIOS (keep F2 pressed) and enter the flash section of BIOS and proceed manually choosing GL703GS-AS.310 BIOS file...
I think it's better to (rollback in case and) disable System Firmware BEFORE you proceed, since I've read many users saying that Win is quite fast to find and re-install in background the new BIOS after your first reboot with the old 310.
Am I right @barko?

EDIT: * a USB pendrive is required with the 'GL703GS-AS.310' file since EZ Flash may not show Windows partitions from BIOS, limited to EFI system partition only... so prepare one before you start.
--