cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL703GM-DS74 shutdowns/restarts when typing the letter ''T'' on keyboard

temp3212
Level 7
Hey guys, so yesterday my laptop started randomly crashing/restarting for no reason at all. I couldn't pinpoint exactly where the problem laid, so I decided to partially reset my Windows but kept my files.

What I figured out is, it would only crash when typing. I just found that odd so I tried pressing different keys and it wouldn't crash unless I pressed the letter ''T''. Most of the time, it crashes right when I press the letter, some other times it takes 2-3-4-5-6 repetitive taps for the laptop to crash, but it has always crashed so far.

I uninstalled my keyboard drivers and re-started computer but that didn't do anything. I hard factory reset my laptop by holding the power button as well but that only increased the amount of times I had to press the letter ''T'' until it would crash again. Not sure if related.

Good news (not sure?) is when I plug an external keyboard, the laptop no longer crashes. I can spam whatever letters and everything runs smoothly. I have honestly no clue what's causing this.

I ran an sfc /scannow, says some files couldn't be repaired but the logs are filled with spam and dump, can't really find the problem.

It's 100% linked to the keyboard because yesterday my laptop ran for hours as long as I didn't touch the keyboard. Is it software or hardware related?

I've also updated firmware but it feels like this issue happened after the recent firmware/asustek/windows updates.

I seriously need help! What do you guys suggest?
28 REPLIES 28

BA_Barac
Level 7
Hi, I've got exactly the same issue, T or G key.

It started happening a week after Windows 10 updated and flashed the bios to 3.10. It wasn't doing it all the time at first but now, its every time.

I've tested on an old build of Windows 10 and I've also downgraded the firmware to 3.06, and it still happens on those versions.

I've also noticed that it happens when pressing the keyboard frame above the G key & between the T and Y key.

So, based on this, I'm thinking it's a hardware fault, it's just so strange that it's occured after the updates Windows 10 performed.

I've now gone back to the current build of Windows 10 and it forced the bios 3.10 upgrade on me and oddly enough, after 30 minutes of pressing the T & G keys, I couldn't get the problem to reoccur HOWEVER only one time during the 30 minutes, I pressed the frame above the G key again and the laptop did power reset. I could not make that happen again during that time.

I am kind of expecting the problem to behave the same again, that is, after a week, it will power reset all the time by T or G key. That's my preferable outcome because that way I can blame a hardware fault and send the laptop in for repair, rather than have an issue that lays dormant until the warranty expires.

Hope you sort yours out

BA_Barac wrote:
Hi, I've got exactly the same issue, T or G key.

It started happening a week after Windows 10 updated and flashed the bios to 3.10. It wasn't doing it all the time at first but now, its every time.

I've tested on an old build of Windows 10 and I've also downgraded the firmware to 3.06, and it still happens on those versions.

I've also noticed that it happens when pressing the keyboard frame above the G key & between the T and Y key.

So, based on this, I'm thinking it's a hardware fault, it's just so strange that it's occured after the updates Windows 10 performed.

I've now gone back to the current build of Windows 10 and it forced the bios 3.10 upgrade on me and oddly enough, after 30 minutes of pressing the T & G keys, I couldn't get the problem to reoccur HOWEVER only one time during the 30 minutes, I pressed the frame above the G key again and the laptop did power reset. I could not make that happen again during that time.

I am kind of expecting the problem to behave the same again, that is, after a week, it will power reset all the time by T or G key. That's my preferable outcome because that way I can blame a hardware fault and send the laptop in for repair, rather than have an issue that lays dormant until the warranty expires.

Hope you sort yours out

they propably forgot to put tapelike plastic shield that protects these kinda problems. I had the same problem, must be common that they forgot something at the factory...

marius88cc
Level 7
Hello ! I have the same issue. i did not notice for a long time because i'm using keyboard mouse and monitor with the laptop. This until I disconnected one day and got constant reboots when pressing "G" or "T".
Did anyone find a solution to this ?

marius88cc wrote:
Hello ! I have the same issue. i did not notice for a long time because i'm using keyboard mouse and monitor with the laptop. This until I disconnected one day and got constant reboots when pressing "G" or "T".
Did anyone find a solution to this ?

Read the reply right above yours.

FULLMETALJACKET7 wrote:
Read the reply right above yours.

FULLMETALJACKET7
ROG Guru: Orange Belt
Join DateMar 2018
Reputation45
Posts409

you're such a great and helpful guy or girl !

marius88cc wrote:
FULLMETALJACKET7
ROG Guru: Orange Belt
Join DateMar 2018
Reputation45
Posts409

you're such a great and helpful guy or girl !

You're welcome.
You could have helped yourself if you took the time to read the replies, but I'm glad I could help you instead.

I am having the same issue. Any word on when I can send it in for repairs?

Skulljeep wrote:
I am having the same issue. Any word on when I can send it in for repairs?

fix it yourself or wait something like 8 weeks while it's in transit and then it waits it's turn to be fixed in asus repair shop. this fix takes around 2 dollars/2 euros if you buy the electric tape yourself and open up the machine and put the tape to correct places to shield so that the motherboard won't make contact with the metalpart on the keyboard back plate.

Tor_Spo wrote:
fix it yourself or wait something like 8 weeks while it's in transit and then it waits it's turn to be fixed in asus repair shop. this fix takes around 2 dollars/2 euros if you buy the electric tape yourself and open up the machine and put the tape to correct places to shield so that the motherboard won't make contact with the metalpart on the keyboard back plate.

You're being optimistic that Asus repair center or w/e will fix that. They will probably just replace a couple of random parts like they usually do and call it a day lol