Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL702VM Heavy GPU throttling

Sfonks
Level 9
EDIT: Final conclusion:
Update:
Support ASSURED me that not all models had this problem, so I refunded my laptop and bought a NEW one in a different store (the original store was all out)
GUESS WHAT
THE EXACT SAME ****ING THROTTLING PROBLEM (model GL702VM-GC026T-BE)
This can be fixed like, previously explained, by disabling Intelij Tubro Technology.
But then you have to live without turbo.

So warning to everyone: DON'T BUY THIS LAPTOP, IT'S BROKEN!

Original post:

Hello,

I just got the GL702VM notebook, and I was wondering if anyone else was experiencing heavy GPU throttling?
Playing Overwatch on epic gives a solid 80-100 fps, but there are a lot of fps drops down to 30-40 every few seconds because of the throttling,
making it unplayable.
Here is a screenshot of afterburner monitor. http://i.imgur.com/EDAd8fR.png
You can see that every few seconds the gpu usage is being dropped down a lot...

Hopefully this is not normal? Anyone else having this issue?
And how could I fix this?

Regards,
Sven
12 REPLIES 12

Pats4Life12
Level 8
I'm having similar issues on my 702VM. i posted a thread earlier but no one responded with advice yet. I have been reading that this could be due to the intense heat it generates and we may have to undervolt the CPU and GPU to resolve this. I dont really know how to do that so if anyone has a step-by-step guide on doing this please let me know.

Pats4Life12 wrote:
I'm having similar issues on my 702VM. i posted a thread earlier but no one responded with advice yet. I have been reading that this could be due to the intense heat it generates and we may have to undervolt the CPU and GPU to resolve this. I dont really know how to do that so if anyone has a step-by-step guide on doing this please let me know.

You have the ASUS GL702VM-GC026T-BE version by chance?
I called the belgian asus support center and they suggested reinstalling drivers and windows (very helpful indeed),
and after that I they told me to just return it for a new one at the shop I bought it at. (because it is within the 14 day dead-on-arrival period)
Unfortunately that shop is all out and so is their supplier so I would have to wait until end of December...
Maybe you are in better luck...

I wonder if the reason for overheating is because they messed up and configured the voltages wrong? In that case I would also just want to lower it if someone knows how.
But we shouldn't have to lower it below the normal amount so we would have laptops with less performance than paid for.

So anyone knows how to check the voltages and lower them if they are indeed to high?

Sfonks wrote:
You have the ASUS GL702VM-GC026T-BE version by chance?
I called the belgian asus support center and they suggested reinstalling drivers and windows (very helpful indeed),
and after that I they told me to just return it for a new one at the shop I bought it at. (because it is within the 14 day dead-on-arrival period)
Unfortunately that shop is all out and so is their supplier so I would have to wait until end of December...
Maybe you are in better luck...

I wonder if the reason for overheating is because they messed up and configured the voltages wrong? In that case I would also just want to lower it if someone knows how.
But we shouldn't have to lower it below the normal amount so we would have laptops with less performance than paid for.

So anyone knows how to check the voltages and lower them if they are indeed to high?

Mine is the DB71. And I did us Intel XTU to lower the voltage offset by -.09V and the max temp dropped by 5C when running Prime 95. Idk what to do with the GPU however. According to Prime 95, my CPU is not throttling at all so that leaves only the GPU. I might try it again later tonight while playing Fallout 4 unfortunately idk how to see if my GPU is throttling.

Something is fishy tho for sure. Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon barely runs at a solid 60 fps and thats an older game too. Kinda worries me for when I start my playthrough of Witcher 3.

As far as the dead on arrival thing, I do have the Best Buy extended geek squad protecton for 3 years so if anaything happens I will just take it to them. Ive had mine for a little over 2 weeks now so that is my best bet.

EDIT: I also assume you are being sarcastic when u say reinstalling the drivers is helpful right?

So I might have found the problem, this is not 100% but it's what I think and what works for me.

So there is the Intel Boost that turns on and "overclocks" your CPU when it reaches 100% usage and the temperature allows it.
But I don't think it correctly checks when the temperature allows it, so meaning it is always on when using heavy games.
You can't control this turbo with software, but indirectly by setting the power plan of windows max cpu usage to 99%, it will no longer turn on.

After doing this I can play overwatch again on epic with max 85C on the GPU and max 87C but hovering 85C too on average.

So this means when the GPU was being throttled heavily was because of the CPU overheating because turbo was on all the time while gaming while it should only be on for peak performances.

This does lose you some FPS on games like battlefield one, since the bottleneck is the CPU, but it is more constant, but on games like overwatch the bottleneck is the GPU and there you have the same FPS but without drops.

Now I'm not sure yet if I can live without turbo boost and if I will return the laptop or not.

And yes it was sarcasm 😛

So I think your solution of lowering the voltage on the CPU might also work, not on the GPU, it's the CPU that is producing too much heat.

Also if you only get 60fps on older games it might be because it is capped at that FPS, you can still increase performance by disabling nvidia experience "share" in options (this disables shadowplay too), and in the windows 10app "Xbox", log in to it and go to options and disable game dvr.

And for the custom power plan, make sure the minimum and maximum processor power are both lowered to 99 from 100.

Sfonks wrote:
So I think your solution of lowering the voltage on the CPU might also work, not on the GPU, it's the CPU that is producing too much heat.

Also if you only get 60fps on older games it might be because it is capped at that FPS, you can still increase performance by disabling nvidia experience "share" in options (this disables shadowplay too), and in the windows 10app "Xbox", log in to it and go to options and disable game dvr.

And for the custom power plan, make sure the minimum and maximum processor power are both lowered to 99 from 100.

Yea I definitely think youre right on the CPU temp thing. Instead of turning off turbo boost, I just undervolted it and it runs better now. The CPU hasnt gone above 80C for me in Fallout 4 so far even before I capped the FPS to 60 with MSI afterburner (I just capped it bc Bethesda games have issues with high FPS and physics).

I still don't like my GPU getting up there in temperature tho. Highest I have seen it go is 86C in Hitman Absolution and FC3 Blood Dragon. Skyrim SE still runs meh but I assume that has to do with its optimization cause Fallout 4 runs incredibly.

I am gonna look into undervolting the GPU. I assume as that goes up in temp it can also rob performance so best to eliminate that. I'll keep you posted on my results!

Still disappointed that we paid this much for a laptop that is meant for high end gaming and we have to mess with settings just to get it running like it should but oh well nothings perfect.

I would not undervoltage the GPU, temperatures of 85 degrees of a gpu in a laptop is normal.
My previous laptop ran for 4 years on 85C (Nvidia 650M) and still works alright.
If you lower the voltage of the gpu you'll get a lot less fps without needing too.

The only thing that you should do is make a personal power plan with 99% and use that one when you are gaming, and otherwise put it back on "High performance".
Otherwise you are limiting the hardware in performance, and then you could as well have bought a more ****ty laptop 😛

Now I am just making sure the turbo feature doesn't stay on all the time while gaming (which it shouldn't), and when I use my normal applications I can put it back on high performance so the tubro boost can be used to certain cpu peaks.

Edit: but yes I agree, it really sucks that we have to figure this out after paying so much. If the specs/cost of this laptop wasn't so perfect I would have refunded already.

Update:
Support ASSURED me that not all models had this problem, so I refunded my laptop and bought a NEW one in a different store (the original store was all out)
GUESS WHAT
THE EXACT SAME ****ING THROTTLING PROBLEM (model GL702VM-GC026T-BE)
This can be fixed like, previously explained, by disabling Intelij Tubro Technology.
But then you have to live without turbo.

So warning to everyone: DON'T BUY THIS LAPTOP, IT'S BROKEN!

Same prob on my gl702vm, fps go from 100 to 10 every few seconds for no reason, fan is very loud, gpu getting over 90 deg. I have tried all the mentioned solutions did anyone ever find a fix for this?