cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL551JM Replace Keyboard Procedure ?

Chuckp
Level 7
I want to replace the keyboard on my GL551JM. I found the videos to take it apart. But it appears that the actual keyboard is held on to the top plastic piece (palmrest) by a metal piece that is held in place by melting plastic pegs coming off the top piece. I can't find a video that addresses the actual removal of the keyboard. I looks to me that you have to melt the pegs to remove it. I wanted to find out if anyone has replaced a keyboard on the GL551JM. Or knows of any video showing how. I have seen the entire top piece and keyboard combo for sale. But also just the keyboard. So I assume they are replaceable without also needing a new top piece with fresh pegs to melt.
Thanks for any help.
3 REPLIES 3

Bill
Level 7
Hello Chuckp
If you are unsure what to do, please send it for RMA and let the engineers do it for you
Thank you

Bill@ASUS wrote:
Hello Chuckp
If you are unsure what to do, please send it for RMA and let the engineers do it for you
Thank you

Even if I did that I still want to know how the keyboard is removed from the top piece for replacement. Can you find that out for me? I'm thinking it's got to be easier than removing all those melted plastic pegs .
Thanks for any help.

I did more YouTube research on different Asus models. Looks like to remove the keyboard from the palmrest you need to cut the plastic peg tops off with a sharp knife or other method. There are a lot of them. Not many talk about or show installing the keyboard. People say they use glue, tape or adding melted plastic to the pegs. All in all a PITA. I would say that if you need a keyboard replacement for an Asus where the keyboard is attached this way plan on getting a combo palmrest/keyboard piece with a factory installed keyboard. Unless you want to spend a lot of time doing an attachment method that may not work long term.