cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[GL531GV] Where is the SSD Ribbon? - solved

Justntyme
Level 7
I have owned my Rog Strix G GL531GV for about a month now and I began to make some upgrades last night. I swapped out the stock NVME drive for a Samsung 970 EVO and also swapped the stock 16 GB RAM for a Crucial 32 GB set. I had also intended to add a secondary storage drive, a Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" SSD, but ran into some issues.

When I opened up the laptop, the open 2.5" slot was easily visible, but there were no cables to connect the new drive. Anyone have any ideas? Can the cable be purchased?

2 REPLIES 2

Justntyme
Level 7
Nevermind. Found the cable in the box.... Got the secondary drive hooked up and working.

Hey I saw this old thread of yours and wanted to ask you a question about installing an NVMe drive on the GL531.

I just bought a GL531 myself recently and it came with a 512GB NVMe drive.

You said you swapped yours out for I'm assuming a larger one right? What process did you use to go about doing that correctly as far as the OS and booting from the new one?

I've done a bunch of basic parts swaps on laptops before but I've never actually swapped the main drive with the OS on one before.