cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL504GV (STRIX Hero II) - High temperatures

GeoGC
Level 8
Hey there. I got the GL504GV (STRIX Hero II) (RTX 2060, i7-8750H, 16GB memory ram on dual channel) few days ago. So today I made a reset and re-installed fresh Windows. Unfortunately, I updated everything, including bios to the latest.

When I tried to use ThrottleStop, I saw that everything on voltage was locked. I searched on the internet and found that it got locked in recent bios versions. I tried older versions of ThrottleStop that I could see that voltage was unlocked but whenever I was doing some changes on voltages, changes weren't being saved. Same with XTU and Quick CPU.

Temperatures while idle (with light browsing and youtube) are around 50-60 degrees. On games they get around 80-90 (93% max according to ThrottleStop) with turbo on. Are the temperatures like these normal? These days it's around 25 degrees Celsius outside where I live. Laptop sits on a cooling pad most of the time.

Are there any other methods to decrease the temperatures and/or increase the performance during games?

My question is, has anyone tried to downgrade bios version on this model so he could undervolt? If yes, which bios version you can undervolt? Is it dangerous to undervolt or it's easy and simple as updating bios?
8 REPLIES 8

david_healion
Level 7
I'm having an almost identical experience, & share the same concerns with my Strix Scar II GL704 (i7 8750H). My CPU while doing light web browsing sits in the mid/high-50'sC, and goes well into the mid/high-90'sC+ when gaming. I love the machine, but these temps are painful to watch, and my fans seem to get noisier by the day. So frustrating.

I looked at undervolting, but then found out about the Intel issue, which seems to rule undervolting out. My current understanding of the situation & alternatives is below (and please note, I am absolutely NOT a tech guy):

1. I believe you can use Asus' BIOS utility tool to undervolt up to -80mv natively. But I don't know if this applies to all Asus laptops & CPUs? And I don't actually even know how to access the Asus BIOS tool!! Trying to find out...

2. Other manufacturers like Dell & MSI have overridden Intel's lock on variable voltage, but Asus has not. This is very disappointing, and I'd add my voice to those asking Asus to please implement an option to unlock variable voltage.

3. I guess I can add to point 2 above by saying that one solution to these problems may be that Asus simply announces unlocked variable voltage one of these days?! I guess that must be a possibility, right?

4. Repasting. I really, really wanted to avoid this as I'm not a tech guy and the thought of opening my laptap scares the hell out of me. On the upside, there are loads of vids on Youtube about opening up/repasting these Asus machines, and it doesn't look that daunting. I'm not at all sure a repaste will help with temps, but getting to the stage where I'll probably give it a go.

5. Other solutions I've seen on YouTube & elsewhere:
> People saying just role back to an earlier version of the Intel XTU. This did not work for me. This solution sounds like BS tbh, although many in YT comments said it works, so who knows? Not for me anyway.
> People rolling back to an earlier BIOS & disabling updates. This scares me even more than opening up the machine. No thanks. Absolute last resort.

That's all I got after a week of Googling. And again, I am 100% not a tech guy, so any and all of the above may be gibberish.

Finally, Asus, come on. I've made an (almost) Euro‚¬2000 investment in you. Sort it out.

PS: I find it a bit odd that several of the stickies in this forum are about this very issue. So on Asus' own forum, the mods are highlighting a major user complaint that Asus (presumably) has the power to fix?! As I say, that's a bit odd, but I guess kudos to the mods?

david.healion wrote:
1. I believe you can use Asus' BIOS utility tool to undervolt up to -80mv natively. But I don't know if this applies to all Asus laptops & CPUs? And I don't actually even know how to access the Asus BIOS tool!! Trying to find out...

4. Repasting. I really, really wanted to avoid this as I'm not a tech guy and the thought of opening my laptap scares the hell out of me. On the upside, there are loads of vids on Youtube about opening up/repasting these Asus machines, and it doesn't look that daunting. I'm not at all sure a repaste will help with temps, but getting to the stage where I'll probably give it a go.

5. Other solutions I've seen on YouTube & elsewhere:
> People saying just role back to an earlier version of the Intel XTU. This did not work for me. This solution sounds like BS tbh, although many in YT comments said it works, so who knows? Not for me anyway.
> People rolling back to an earlier BIOS & disabling updates. This scares me even more than opening up the machine. No thanks. Absolute last resort.

1. Ye, I tried in the morning to check from BIOS to see if I could find any options to undervolt but I didn't found anything sadly.
4. Re-pasted ye days ago, that's why I find it sad that on idle it sits on 50-60 degrees on a fresh installed OS.
5. Ye same, I saw some youtube videos of people using older versions of XTU and ThrottleStop but nothing worked. Quick CPU and old versions of ThrottleStop lets you change the voltage numbers but nothing changes, it's just that it's not gray-ed out. And ye, I am kinda the same, is why I wanna know if anyone tried downgrading bios and if it was hard to do it and on which bios version I can undervolt again.

I found a youtuber who has a solution if you still have this problem, also see my reply to the above post.

00:00 Intro 02:04 Folders & Link 04:06 10th & 11th gen 05:24 Universal Bios Backup Toolkit 08:29 Uefitool 10:32 IRFExtractor 12:02 Overclocking & Cfg lock 16:37 Formatting USB 19:04 Command line in GNU In this video I share with you a method to unlock undervolting in most Intel Laptops 11th gen ...

LeftPlatypus
Level 7

Hey, I found a solution if you are still looking for a way to reenable undervolting. This youtuber has a good rundown of how to do it. It wasn't too tricky to execute, but be sure to watch the whole thing carefully before attempting.

As our cpus are 8th gen it is slightly different as I wrote below, you will understand once you watch the video;

setup_var Setup 0x789 0x0

setup_var Setup 0x6ED 0x0

00:00 Intro 02:04 Folders & Link 04:06 10th & 11th gen 05:24 Universal Bios Backup Toolkit 08:29 Uefitool 10:32 IRFExtractor 12:02 Overclocking & Cfg lock 16:37 Formatting USB 19:04 Command line in GNU In this video I share with you a method to unlock undervolting in most Intel Laptops 11th gen ...

tdp9515
Level 7

use win11 pro stops driver updates on bios  you can still manually update any driver BUT windows will not.  running 305 bios on a scar 2  dont plan on updating i the bios ever until the laptop dies and i kept a copy of it. 

windows forced a bois up date which i don't want it ever doing so edited win11 to stop that update.... why would i want windows to replace the bios and destroy brick the computer if it fails. there should be nothing in bios that needs changes from when it was new.

Greetings. can you share 305 bios?

tdp9515
Level 7

I will look for it. It has been a bit now working great with a  few edits to stop some of the driver updates one being the bios. 55 c max 84 c as per Throttle stop under volting the cpu