cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL504GM built-in speaker volume fluctuating loud/soft

Ashenx
Level 7
Hey everybody.

This laptop is a little over a month old, and I think the problem has existed since I had it. Basically when listening to audio, movies, youtube, etc, the volume will suddenly drop very low only to randomly spike again for a short burst before dropping back down, as if it's being equalized in the absolute worst, random possible way.

Here's what I've tried so far:

-Uninstalling Realtek driver and updating to the newest version
-Uninstalling Realtek driver and updating to previous versions (04/18 and 08/18)
-Sound>Communications>adjusting for sound calls to "Do Nothing"
-For the hell of it, attempted to change the sample rate and bit depth
-Also for the hell of it, did not allow applications to take control of this device
-Again, for the hell of it, disabling the NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (I'm not even 100 percent sure what it does, something for HDMI?)

So far, not so good. The problem does not occur when I use headphones, leading me to believe it is only a realtek problem.
There are no enhancements in the playback device properties, so nothing that would be equalizing it there.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!
101 REPLIES 101

Ashenx
Level 7
Bump because this issue is persisting, but I've narrowed down that it occurs on multiple browsers (google and edge) so I believe it is a driver issue. Recent BIOS 306 still hasn't solved the issue.

Edit: attached a picture of my sound information as per the DirectX Diagnostic Tool

Hi, I have the same problem but in a desktop and with realtek integrated sound card.

So I think it's a driver-related issue.
What is the name of realtek audio? I'll check mine.

TopOkay wrote:
Hi, I have the same problem but in a desktop and with realtek integrated sound card.

So I think it's a driver-related issue.
What is the name of realtek audio? I'll check mine.

Going to sound a bit dumb, but how do you check the name? Everywhere I've looked just lists it as generic realtek.

Ashenx wrote:
Going to sound a bit dumb, but how do you check the name? Everywhere I've looked just lists it as generic realtek.

You can use hwinfo:

TopOkay wrote:
You can use hwinfo:

This is what I got:

https://i.gyazo.com/107efa4de99af14ef79adff3d5abfe49.png

Seems hwinfo can't identify all the IDs. It happen to me in my gl703ge, I have less info than yours :confused:
My desktop have completely different components, but the effect of volume fluctuation it's the same.

However, in the download page of your pc there's a new audio drivers, rollout 2018/12/13, have you tried them?
https://www.asus.com/it/supportonly/GL504GM/HelpDesk_Download/

No, unfortunately I updated when the new version was released, but it seems both sides of the speaker don't reduce the same amount. While the left side seems to reduce about 30% - 40% (my own estimation), the right side speaker reduces maybe 80% - 90%, becoming so small it sounds like something is covering the speaker, when nothing is there.

No idea what's causing this anymore.

same problem, I have already installed several drivers and nothing, I have restarted several times and nothing. The ASUS customer service grosses only give one solution that is to return the equipment. I'm sure it's a Drivers problem but I do not know how to solve

the last thing I did, I updated this version of drivers, that the guy recommended me, and again I have fluctuations.