cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL502VS Cooling Improvement Solution!? **UPDATE**

cdrshm
Level 7
EDIT: 4.2.2017 - So i did a more permanent fix using the tape used for heat ducts, its sticky and holds its shape. this work truly works. I even put tape on the bottom of the heat sink. I play Crysis 2 max settings around 78 degrees C. The house is about 73 degrees F. If anyone has any recommendations on a game to test the temp's let me know! (Idle Temps)

So i have the GL502VS with the 1070 and as many others on here experience some hot temperatures. I know one solution is to under-volt, which does help.

So I decided to turn my laptop over take the bottom off and turn it on and check out how everything is working, of course with that alone the temperatures were lower, so i put on a bench mark to really get the fans spinning.. and using very technical/sophisticated equipment i tested the air flow and temperature of the air. OK i didn't have any sophisticated equipment, i just put my face lips in font of the heat sinks to feel the air. I could feel the hot air, and quite a bit of "cooler" air.

So if you look close you see fairly large gaps (Click for Gaps!) between the fan and the heat sink, and i "think" air also follows the path of least restriction. So not thought the fins, but out the large gaps. All that i had laying around was electrical tape, so i did my best to cover the gaps (Gaps-be-Gone) to push more air thought he fins and hopefully more heat will be pushed out. Now from the quick tests it does "seem" to run cooler, i would say a few degrees but i did not have the time to fully test. I also don't know what its like on the other side of the heat sink fan, i may need to seal that up. I just didn't have the time tonight to address it.

I also need to get something more suited than electrical tape, maybe a high heat tape or something? (Ideas?)

So if anyone is interested in trying to see if they notice a difference i would be very curious to hear the results, or some true benchmarks.

Thanks

Chris
36 REPLIES 36

ikhwan54
Level 7
cdrshm wrote:
So i have the GL502VS with the 1070 and as many others on here experience some hot temperatures. I know one solution is to under-volt, which does help.

So I decided to turn my laptop over take the bottom off and turn it on and check out how everything is working, of course with that alone the temperatures were lower, so i put on a bench mark to really get the fans spinning.. and using very technical/sophisticated equipment i tested the air flow and temperature of the air. OK i didn't have any sophisticated equipment, i just put my face lips in font of the heat sinks to feel the air. I could feel the hot air, and quite a bit of "cooler" air.

So if you look close you see fairly large gaps (Click for Gaps!) between the fan and the heat sink, and i "think" air also follows the path of least restriction. So not thought the fins, but out the large gaps. All that i had laying around was electrical tape, so i did my best to cover the gaps (Gaps-be-Gone) to push more air thought he fins and hopefully more heat will be pushed out. Now from the quick tests it does "seem" to run cooler, i would say a few degrees but i did not have the time to fully test. I also don't know what its like on the other side of the heat sink fan, i may need to seal that up. I just didn't have the time tonight to address it.

I also need to get something more suited than electrical tape, maybe a high heat tape or something? (Ideas?)

So if anyone is interested in trying to see if they notice a difference i would be very curious to hear the results, or some true benchmarks.

Thanks

Chris

I also thought of this..and i wanted to test this aswell..but i dont have any tape lying around..so i couldnt do it...but i really hope someone may be able to test this theory..

cdrshm
Level 7
So I would say this does work, I had been playing Crysis 2 and the system is certainly running cooler...I would say 5-7 degrees... but really need to do a more formal test.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I recently put in new thermal paste to see if it improved the temps while gaming..and it did..however on idle im getting temps around 50-60 and the fan is running at about 2400rpm..i dont know what went wrong

ikhwan54 wrote:
I recently put in new thermal paste to see if it improved the temps while gaming..and it did..however on idle im getting temps around 50-60 and the fan is running at about 2400rpm..i dont know what went wrong

I am thinking you you may need to reseat the heat-sink. You may not have good contact.

I am using an OPOLAR LC06D2. I hooked it up to the right outtake. It lowers temperature of both CPU and GPU by 12-15 °C. Temps are down from 85 to around 70°C while playing demanding games that push a lot of frames like Overwatch or Doom.

So, I gave it a shot. This does work.

Before I did it, Mass effect would throttle unless I disabled cores. Stress testing (prime95/furmark) still caused CPU throttling, but took longer to do so. The biggest change for me is idle temps. I never had idol temps lower than upper 50's (upper 60's before undervolt). Right now my temps are 45cpu and 52gpu (after hour of use).

Not a huge win, and having to open the laptop is not for everyone, but there are gains to be made by doing this. I'll do more testing and report if I notice anything else.

Also of note, I just covered the huge gap between the top of the fan and the copper pipe, I did not look to block every gap.

Saragrl wrote:
So, I gave it a shot. This does work.

Before I did it, Mass effect would throttle unless I disabled cores. Stress testing (prime95/furmark) still caused CPU throttling, but took longer to do so. The biggest change for me is idle temps. I never had idol temps lower than upper 50's (upper 60's before undervolt). Right now my temps are 45cpu and 52gpu (after hour of use).

Not a huge win, and having to open the laptop is not for everyone, but there are gains to be made by doing this. I'll do more testing and report if I notice anything else.
Yes i agree with you here, but i don't really think its too difficult, since you don't even have to take the heatsink/fans off, but im sure there a people that don't feel comfortable even taking the bottom panel off.

Also of note, I just covered the huge gap between the top of the fan and the copper pipe, I did not look to block every gap.

I did the top and the sides, the gap on the side was fairly large

I figured the more air that can be pushed through the fins "should" reduce the temp or a more consistent temp... I am going to remove my electrical tape and use the tape thats used for heat vents. its a little more sturdy and ridged and can handle higher temps.. Thanks again for trying this out.

ColinMacLaren wrote:
I am using an OPOLAR LC06D2. I hooked it up to the right outtake. It lowers temperature of both CPU and GPU by 12-15 °C. Temps are down from 85 to around 70°C while playing demanding games that push a lot of frames like Overwatch or Doom.

Ain't that bulky? Throw us a picture when you got the time.

On topic : I will test this the next days, today i repasted again and after 1h of p95+furmark i got max 81c on cpu and 71 on gpu, 4C difference than previous.

PS: but my turbo boost is disabled, else i get to 95+ C on cpu )) i really blame the heatsink, lol

Ymzuki wrote:
Ain't that bulky? Throw us a picture when you got the time.

On topic : I will test this the next days, today i repasted again and after 1h of p95+furmark i got max 81c on cpu and 71 on gpu, 4C difference than previous.

PS: but my turbo boost is disabled, else i get to 95+ C on cpu )) i really blame the heatsink, lol

I am very curious to see how things work for you!