cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL502VS cannot reduce temps, tried everything.

siemaeniu_500
Level 7
Hello,

Let me introduce you to my story. I've bought used GL502VS (7700HQ, 1070). It was manufactured 2017.12 (so its ~6 month old). The temperatures on idle are 50C both on CPU and GPU. I've tried the following steps to reduce temps:
- replace thermal pads with Thermal Grizzly Minus Pad 8
- replace thermal paste on CPU and GPU with liquid metal Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut
- bought cooling pad Cooler Master NOTEPAL ERGOSTAND III
- undervolt CPU by -130mV and GPU with msi afterburner

Those steps didn't change idle and maximum overload temps. Does cooling system on this laptop sucks that match ?
What else should I do. I am instrested mainly to reduce idle temps because this laptop is being used for programming. And programming on hot keyboard is not comfortable, i almost get used to it, but want to hear your opinions.
11 REPLIES 11

FastM
Level 8
The system BIOS is designed to allow the temps to rise until the point of thermal throttling.

You have achieved a lot more than you realize but *the system is reacting by lowering the fan rpm in idle/load situations.

bottom line, find a way to force the fans to spin a little faster and i asure you you’ll see results.*

it’s a shame the 502 doesn’t let you boost them in the ROG center like I can with my 702. My fans are always boosted 30% and my systems idles in the mid 30c’s and load stays under 80c cpu and under 70c gpu.

FastM wrote:
The system BIOS is designed to allow the temps to rise until the point of thermal throttling.

You have achieved a lot more than you realize but *the system is reacting by lowering the fan rpm in idle/load situations.

bottom line, find a way to force the fans to spin a little faster and i asure you you’ll see results.*

it’s a shame the 502 doesn’t let you boost them in the ROG center like I can with my 702. My fans are always boosted 30% and my systems idles in the mid 30c’s and load stays under 80c cpu and under 70c gpu.

Actually it's possible to boost fans in the ROG center with 502vs, I tested with 30 and 50 percent boost, but it's additional noise.
But I am afraid that someone with the same model achieved for example 20C drop on CPU with liquid metal but with mine case it totally does not work.

siemaeniu_500 wrote:
Actually it's possible to boost fans in the ROG center with 502vs, I tested with 30 and 50 percent boost, but it's additional noise.
But I am afraid that someone with the same model achieved for example 20C drop on CPU with liquid metal but with mine case it totally does not work.

They dropped 20c under full load, not idle, and that was in the old model. The 502VSK runs a lot cooler out of the box. Idle temps should be around 45c for the GPU and 50c for the CPU anyways (25c ambient temp.), unless you make the fans spin faster. That's how it's designed to be. The fans barely spin at idle or even browsing the web.
Dont worry about it, unless you're having problems under full load.

FULLMETALJACKET7 wrote:
They dropped 20c under full load, not idle, and that was in the old model. The 502VSK runs a lot cooler out of the box. Idle temps should be around 45c for the GPU and 50c for the CPU anyways (25c ambient temp.), unless you make the fans spin faster. That's how it's designed to be. The fans barely spin at idle or even browsing the web.
Dont worry about it, unless you're having problems under full load.

During load it's hot but it looks like they designed the laptop to reach that temps, but i don't know how it will work over some time. Also i filled the gap between the fan and radiator with electrial tape, so now the air flows directly into the radiator.

siemaeniu_500 wrote:
During load it's hot but it looks like they designed the laptop to reach that temps, but i don't know how it will work over some time. Also i filled the gap between the fan and radiator with electrial tape, so now the air flows directly into the radiator.

If it's not going as high as 90c or something like that, there's nothing to worry about. As for life span, it will probably become obsolete before it fails.

Have you tried undervolting the GPU?

Hi dude .
I have the same issue of you when i played the TEMP grown so fast and very hot .
I tried to undervolt the by 0.100 with succes TEMP look less and stable after 3 hours of OCCT but faster than no undervolt .

without undervolt 3.1GHZ
with undervolt 3.4

So you can tried to do the same thing .

i tried to use MSI afterburn for GTX 1070 but I can't change the Volt .The option is locked .

HOW can you undervolt the GPU with MSI afterburn ?

jeancul wrote:
Hi dude .
I have the same issue of you when i played the TEMP grown so fast and very hot .
I tried to undervolt the by 0.100 with succes TEMP look less and stable after 3 hours of OCCT but faster than no undervolt .

without undervolt 3.1GHZ
with undervolt 3.4

So you can tried to do the same thing .

i tried to use MSI afterburn for GTX 1070 but I can't change the Volt .The option is locked .

HOW can you undervolt the GPU with MSI afterburn ?

I am able to undervolt the GPU with MSI afterburner but it does totally nothing. I've tried many voltage curves and the result is the same.

FULLMETALJACKET7 wrote:
If it's not going as high as 90c or something like that, there's nothing to worry about. As for life span, it will probably become obsolete before it fails.

Have you tried undervolting the GPU?

In gaming it can reach 95c on CPU and nearly high 80c on GPU. It depends on the game, and the conditions around the laptop like temperature in the room or if laptop is placed on the cooling pad. I mostly use this laptop for programming, gaming session are rather short.

FastM
Level 8
Limiting the GPU to .800v definitely makes a difference.

have you made your own curves or trying stuff other people created?