cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G713QR-ES96 BIOS problem?

sirvaude
Level 7

Hello, I have this G17 but I think I made a mistake.

I have a wifi issue, if the laptop gets suspended, and wake up again, the wifi just stops working and no wireless networks are available, I have to reboot it. With Linux is even worse, if you reboot it, you don't know if there will be wireless networks available, you have to turn it off, and turn on again after some seconds to make sure it works. I read in the ASUS-Linux Discord that I need to replace the wifi chip (I don't know why this terrible Mediatek brand comes with it) but before doing so, I made a really bad decision.

I had this problem for a whole year, so I decided to update the BIOS some days ago to see if the problem goes away and it became in a much bigger problem.

After that BIOS update, the laptop now freezes randomly, I noticed it happened more often if the laptop is using the battery only, and even more if the laptop is in energy saving mode.

I wanted to downgrade the BIOS but surprise, there's no older versions of this BIOS and the newest versions doesn't fix anything.

I'm getting crazy, I've done a fresh Windows 11 install, I wanted to install Linux again but I couldn't even get to boot the LiveUSB, and tried to reinstall Windows and it was a really stressing problem, it just freezes everytime in the middle of the process.

Today I finally made it and now I'm in Windows 11, I've installed Armoury Crate and only when the Turbo Mode is on and it's plugged to the wall, it doesn't freeze at all. But as soon as I change the energy profile to Silent mode or something that involves an energy saving profile, the freezing problem happens again.

I mean, the only way it does not freeze, is plugged in to it's charger, and Turbo or Performance mode enabled in Armoury Crate, as soon as I unplug it from the wall or change the energy profiile, it's done, it's a matter of seconds or minutes to get freezed. So it must be an energy problem.

Obviously I'm losing data because of this, because I have to forcefully turn it off everytime it freezes, and that's never good idea even less with SSDs or M.2s installed.

What can I do? Is there a legacy BIOS webpage where I can download that version, or a beta version for this BIOS? It's incredible the problems this laptop has, first the terrible wifi card and now this freezing problem, making me unable to install linux, it's sad and frustrating, it wasn't a cheap laptop and I'm getting a real better experience from my very old laptop. I don't know how did I get here without getting freezed in the process.

Any help will be much appreciated.

UPDATE:

I managed to get all the older BIOS versions, but none of them worked, I mean, I was able to flash them all but even after installing the very first version of the BIOS released in 2021, the problem keeps happening.

So, this freezing problem is really a headache, I don't have any idea how to solve it, and I think at this point it's impossible, it must be a hardware problem after flashing it for the first time and now it's not possible to solve it without RMA.

Don't buy asus gaming laptops, they even have the nerve to say they're a trusted brand for excellence. 🥴

7 REPLIES 7

sirvaude
Level 7

I forgot to add the current BIOS information:

Version 331
GOP Version 2.15
EC Version: G713QREC.050

I remember I had a version below 300 but I don't recall exactly the number.

Hi, did u resolve your problems? I also have BIOS 331 installed on my G533QS and i have huge system freezing problems

Hello, I haven't. And there's no help from nobody here.

I will never buy an ASUS again. 🤡

I found version 323 from 2021 somewhere on the internet, but i wouldn't help me. I tried to install fresh windows but i'm not able to it freezes even on install. I was able to install ubuntu however and it works without freezes. 

nivlaa01
Level 7

I have had this issue for several months as well.  My laptop freezes several minutes into bootup.  My temp fix months ago was to run youtube in the background but that has since not worked.  Currently just playing on my old laptop until someone finds a fix 😕

sirvaude
Level 7

Hey, I managed to get all the older BIOS versions, but none of them worked, I mean, I was able to flash them all but even after installing the very first version of the BIOS released in 2021, the problem keeps happening.

So, this freezing problem is really a headache, I don't have any idea how to solve it, and I think at this point it's impossible, it must be a hardware problem after flashing it for the first time and now it's not possible to solve it without RMA.

Don't buy asus gaming laptops, they even have the nerve to say they're a trusted brand for excellence. 🥴