cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G15 G512LW-HN084T thermal compound? ram compatiability? RTX2070 custom curve?

Jam31337
Level 7
Happy new 2021 Year! I've got my new Asus ROG STRIX G15 G512LW-HN084T on December 30th and spend a big amount of time searching for a solution with thermals. The laptop would run at high 80's and medium 90's degrees while gaming and stress testing on CPU and around high 80's on GPU.
I've read all the corresponding themes on this forum and there are still unanswered questions for me:
---
1. Is my laptop 100% having a liquid metal applied to the cooling system? If yes, how in the world the temps are that high? If no - I'll purchase the Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut liquid metal and repaste it myself. I don't worry much about losing the warranty for doing this bcz all I want is decent temperatures and if the thing works out of the box it won't need a warranty repair during years of usage.
---
2. For a technical product I would like to see a compatibility sheet produced by the manufacturer. This goes for the RAM modules that are compatible with my laptop. I see that people aren't able to use the XMP profile due to the lack of BIOS setting for this. OK, then Ballistix that are advertised to run @3200MHz with CL16 timings isn't an option unfortunately bcz this speed is reached only via using XMP. I want to know which RAM modules are compatible with my laptop to run @3200MHz and are a pair of 16Gb modules that will work out of the box after plugging them in.
@asus members, please don't send me the link to Intel's technical documentation on the 10875H CPU that my laptop is running saying it supports only DDR4-2933 which isn't true. My laptop runs the stock RAM sticks @3200MHz right now, but the timings are just useless, and Call Of Duty: Warzone is force closing sometimes due to RAM speed issues. I would be more than grateful for a technical list of compatible RAM modules that were tested with the subject product.
---
3. If anyone already uses a custom power curve for RTX 2070 that is installed to this laptop series via MSI Afterburner software, please share. The best config I'm looking for would not decrease the GPU much allowing it to run at mid 70's while on 100% load. Hope to see a nice reply on this with screenshots and explanations.
---
What I already did with my laptop after getting it:
Installed 2x Samsung EVO Plus 500Gb modules running at RAID0 and reinstalled the Windows 10 Pro 64x to it.
Needed to move the stock 1Tb Intel NVMe module to another slot bcz to run RAIDx you need to have your NVMe's at the same controller.
Used the BIOS option to make a -80mV offset that didn't help to bring thermals lower at all.
Used Intel Extreme Tuning Utility to run the CPU at lower speed and temps, the settings were found on this forum.
Used a Windows Registry custom file to enable CPU power options and limit the turbo boost at silent profile to have no boost and the temps are very decent low 50's and the CPU speed is locked to 2300Mhz which is stock for 10875H I don't need more speed for browsing the internet and basic multimedia tasks.
---
Feel free to reply to this thread with any issues you face with the Asus ROG STRIX G15 laptops you own and wish to test, I will try to do my best to make the test for you and reply here with the results.
9 REPLIES 9

Jam31337
Level 7
Uploading a picture of Aida64 RAM and Cache test which really disappoints me. I feel that the latency is really a matter. 87428
I wish to see a better throughput on the memory system at 3200Mhz or I would agree to go lower on the speed but with much lower latencies to make sure the throughput is around 50-60 ish, not 35-40ish as I'm having now. This really affects the experience while using this generous laptop product.

Jam31337
Level 7
Tested the storage system with CrystalDiskMark8.0.0a if someone needs this and finds it useful I would be glad:
1. I've inserted my two Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500Gb 2x to the same controller on the mobo, you will need to move the stock m.2 to gain access to one of the two RAID supported ports which are handled by the same storage controller, and here are the results, which are very decent for RAID0 configuration. Reading speeds are the same as without RAID0 but writing speeds are higher.
2. The stock 1Tb Intel 660p series SSD also runs at the manufacturer's claimed speeds and is great for its price. Not the greatest solution for modern games that need to read a big number of huge files during gameplay but is good for storage and I won't be sad if it fails after its lifetime is over. I'll be using it for storage.

Jam31337
Level 7
Another frustration, I've started the hwinfo64 to monitor GPU power consumption and after an hour of gaming scrolled around the other sensors, and seeing this really made me sad. My almost new Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500Gb M.2 NVMe is 102 C degrees... I don't believe this isn't damaging the silicone parts, will disassembly the laptop to check if I can protect the NVMe module by adding something that will block hot air if it is possible, which I, unfortunately, don't believe is.
EDIT:
I've noticed the Intel 660p drive had some kind of metallic tape, which I kept on it when moved the drive to another M.2 slot for creating my RAID0 array with Samsung drives. I've opened the laptop's back panel and reapplied the metallic tape together with a black plastic shield to the drive that's closer to the CPU heatsink. See the photo of the temperature change (I get this after 10-15 minutes of playing Call Of Duty: Warzone (network game which isn't that loading as Warzone itself can be).
I've also taken off the sticker from the 970 Evo Plus packaging box to help the hot air move not directly to the NVMe drive.

Jam31337 wrote:
Another frustration, I've started the hwinfo64 to monitor GPU power consumption and after an hour of gaming scrolled around the other sensors, and seeing this really made me sad. My almost new Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500Gb M.2 NVMe is 102 C degrees... I don't believe this isn't damaging the silicone parts, will disassembly the laptop to check if I can protect the NVMe module by adding something that will block hot air if it is possible, which I, unfortunately, don't believe is.

Thats absurd! Those are unreal temps for a storage device. You must ask Asus to do the needful and address the cooling issues. Let me know how it goes.

lakshay2020 wrote:
Thats absurd! Those are unreal temps for a storage device. You must ask Asus to do the needful and address the cooling issues. Let me know how it goes.

I agree with you but Asus support isn't available in Belarus where I've bought this laptop from a reseller website, this is one of the reasons I don't rely on the warranty. Also, I am capable of sending the laptop via mail to Asus if it dies during the warranty period of two years from the manufacture date. I hope to resolve the thermal issues next week after repasting the CPU and GPU with liquid metal from Thermal Grizzly. I can't believe that Asus did apply liquid metal from the factory and the temps are such high.

BTW I'm running my CPU with a locked boost to stock 2300Mhz. With the unlocked boost, the CPU gets 90+ degrees in seconds after a game is launched which isn't great for the die at all. I've spent 17 hundred bucks on this laptop and wish to keep it resolving the issues and testing if Asus is honest with their customers about liquid metal on 10th Gen CPUs. We will find out the truth in the coming week.

Jam31337
Level 7
I've managed to deal with the extreme temperatures by moving the Call Of Duty folder to the Intel 660p NVMe drive which is located far from the heatsink. Launched the game and played a little to test and the temperature didn't rise higher than 83 degrees Celsius, which is also high but 20+ degrees better than it was before I've mentioned it. Also, the game was lagging and booting slowly - high temps on NVMe's make them throttle and the performance becomes slow.

Jam31337
Level 7
Yes, I still love the Asus ROG products, BUT I'm thinking why should I downclock a 10th Gen Intel CPU and RTX2xxx GPU not to allow them to boil themselves to death? Why is this my headache after spending seventeen hundred US dollars and now I'm planning to spend even more on buying Thermal compound that I doubt Asus did put liquid metal, and the quality of the application really works (if they did and it's perfect-then my purchase is a waste of money and this investigation is a waste of time).
I'm still waiting for an Asus representative to take a look at this thread and reply on how this will be fixed by Asus or can be fixed by me.

Jam31337
Level 7
Ten (10) days passed, I see no reply from Asus here. Most likely I'm going to try handing this laptop back to the seller or selling it losing money. I Will get myself something really cooled and not overheating and unfortunately for Asus, I am headed towards other manufacturers. With such a low level of response and support, I won't be coming back to Asus soon or maybe ever.

Jam31337
Level 7
It's been more than one month since I've sold the Asus ROG G512 losing a couple of hundreds us dollars. Got a MacBook Pro 13" Touchbar with M1 CPU. The machine is flawless, no overheating at all, I've never heard its cooling fan because it's not kicking in due to really cool temps. The screen is a masterpiece. Everything is just awesome. For gaming, I'll get myself a PS5 or XBOX when I'll need one. And won't bother with upgrading for the next 5 years. It's a pity Asus did this bad with gaming laptops production. Hope this helps people not making the mistake of buying this overheating rubbish.