cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dual booting Win7 with the GL503VD Win10 OEM

dragonjet
Level 7
Has anyone successfully dual booted Windows 7 and Windows 10 alongside each other on your ROG GL notebook? Mine specifically is GL503VD.

Please no links to tutorials, I probably have read them or might be able to google them. I just need personal experience from you guys specifically on our hardware, the GL series (intel, nvidia, rog motherboard, rog bios/uefi)

I have actually successfully installed Windows 7 (UEFI), and now getting the choose which OS during boot.

The Win10 installation (preinstalled OEM) works fine, and is what I am using right now. Boots as usual.

The Win7 installation freezes during "Starting Windows" when the orbs are moving, and stops right before they merge to become the windows logo.

I tried the Win7 in safe mode but stops at disk.sys

The best lead I have right now is memory problem. But I have already done a memory test, on the same screen as the choose OS screen (I can't see results though). As I've read this is probably a memory seating / slot issue? But why is Win10 working? Is this really memory problem? or should we go back to investigating UEFI/BIOS compatibility for Win7?
3 REPLIES 3

mmohamed2
Level 8
7th generation Kaby Lake CPUs only support Windows 10

mmohamed2 wrote:
7th generation Kaby Lake CPUs only support Windows 10

ohhh now I remember, I heard this back them but totally forgot about it. This is really sad. Thanks, I'll think about how to move forward with this. I might buy another laptop or opt for the Zen ones. thanks again!

mmohamed2
Level 8
You're welcome