cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does the G512LV support DDR4 3000Mhz RAM? Can Asus please enable xmp!

Hisuiiki
Level 7
Practically all the higher frequency ram is either 3000 or 3200. Bought Crucial Balistix but since XMP is disabled on this laptop, I can't run it at 2933 or more and it runs only on 2666 which is less than ideal. I'm looking at Corsair Vengeance but it comes at 3000mhz and not 2933. Is it going to be able to run at 2933? It's also practically impossible to find timings on any other sodimm memory other than HyperX. Even the HyperX says it can run 2933 on xmp and 3200 on JEDEC. Since xmp is disabled, is it going to run at 2933 or some other lower frequency?

The whole memory thing for this laptop is a complete mess and having xmp disabled is making things even worse! My questions are:

Is 3000mhz ram going to work on the G512lv and if yes, which brand is recommended?
Does the HyperX 3200 ram going to work at 2933 since it's 2933 profile is listed as XMP?
6 REPLIES 6

craig_cabbage
Level 8
Hisuiiki wrote:
Practically all the higher frequency ram is either 3000 or 3200. Bought Crucial Balistix but since XMP is disabled on this laptop, I can't run it at 2933 or more and it runs only on 2666 which is less than ideal. I'm looking at Corsair Vengeance but it comes at 3000mhz and not 2933. Is it going to be able to run at 2933? It's also practically impossible to find timings on any other sodimm memory other than HyperX. Even the HyperX says it can run 2933 on xmp and 3200 on JEDEC. Since xmp is disabled, is it going to run at 2933 or some other lower frequency?

The whole memory thing for this laptop is a complete mess and having xmp disabled is making things even worse! My questions are:

Is 3000mhz ram going to work on the G512lv and if yes, which brand is recommended?
Does the HyperX 3200 ram going to work at 2933 since it's 2933 profile is listed as XMP?

Hey man, I've had to go through trial-and-error on this. Asus's company line is "we go through a careful process to find compatible RAM and we don't guarantee compatibility with anything" which is some bull****, since when did manufacturers stop including compatibility checklists. Obviously if they went through a rigorous process they should at least have a list of the **** that DOESN'T work, but they just leave you to figure it out on your own.

So anyway, no, the Ballistix won't run at 3200MHz, I think even with XMP enabled (I don't actually know, cuz like you point out, XMP is disabled), because the RAM needs 1.35v to operate at full speed, and the mobos on this line won't put out more than 1.2v. I'm not an overclocker, so IDK what software would be out there that would let you change that, if any, but don't brick your **** messing around with something that might not work. The real **** thing about the Ballistix is that Crucial's website shows it as fully compatible with this line.

Another person on the boards here bought the HyperX , and I think they got 2933? Maybe 2666 too, but either way, couldn't get full speeds. In this case, it might be due to XMP being disabled, it might just be because it's not compatible. IDK, Asus hasn't/won't confirm. I believe the HyperX operates at 1.2v so with XMP enabled it might work. Buyer beware.

I was looking at some G Skill patriot RAM that operates at 1.2v with 3200MHz with CL18, but it appeared to require XMP. That's ideally what I would've tried first, but Amazon wasn't selling directly and the 3rd party seller had a restock fee. So I settled with the Crucial CT16G4SFRA32A.C8FE. 3200MHz CL22 (same as the stock RAM) 16GB sticks that operate at 1.2v without XMP.

As far as I can tell from other's experiences with mine, plus Asus's response to my inquiry about the RAM, and another person on the forums inquiry about SSDs, there's not a whole lot of compatibility for upgrades on performance hardware, which is really shameful, as they literally advertise how easy it is to upgrade.

I'm thoroughly convinced that they have Sloth from The Goonies putting these laptops together. They're frequently throwing higher frequency sticks in them even though they're not supported by the onboard processor itself. I had the same exact issue. Some mongoloid put 3200MHz sticks in my system when it's a known fact that the i7-9750H only supports up to 2666MHz per module. Most, if not all, of the newer Strix models have XMP and overclocking disabled which makes this practice even more mind-bogglingly stupid and wasteful. Someone really needs to look into the QA department. Look, the best thing to do is download CPU-Z and go into the memory tab to see what your memory is running at. I guarantee that's the maximum operating speed despite having higher frequency sticks. Have 3000MHz sticks in there, but it only runs at 2666? That's all you're getting.

KorosuKivy
Level 10
Hisuiiki wrote:

I had already touched on this.

As you can see from the 64GB 3200 hyper x ram I have installed the max is 2933Mhz

The G512LV xmp 2.0 does not fully utilise the 3200Mhz just 2933Mhz. That said it works perfectly.

This worked

craig_cabbage wrote:
This worked

what app are you using to detect that its not displaying XMP in the EXT it also looks like its displaying the base stats without XMP
What are your results in CPUz?

I have the same problem, i buy crucial ballstix 32gb 3200mhz and running 2666mhz so i give it back on amazon, im thinking to buy hyperx Â*impact 2933mhz wich is the maximun for i7 10750h with linked specsÂ*https://www.kingston.com/dataSheets/HX429S17IBK2_32.pdf what you think they will run at 2933 or 2666? In spec file i saw for differen profiles a different speed, How could i know wich profile my g512lv will run?