cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charging GL703GS laptop over USB-C?

snuffpig
Level 9
Hi,

Am on a week's holiday in Wales from England and forgot my charge for my GL703GS!

Will this laptop charge, even slowly, over USB-C??
3 REPLIES 3

xeromist
I'm pretty sure those ports are not capable. USB-C can't supply enough power for a gaming laptop so engineers wouldn't implement it.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

The standard for usb C suggests that it could provide enough wattage to power it.

In any case what about a lesser charger. Could that power it while switched off?

snuffpig wrote:
The standard for usb C suggests that it could provide enough wattage to power it.

In any case what about a lesser charger. Could that power it while switched off?

The supplied adapter is 150W. USB-C tops out at 100W for power delivery. It's also expensive to implement. That's why only ultrabooks rely on USB-C for power. They are lower power and premium enough to justify the more expensive power system.

Theoretically, yes. A less powerful notebook power adapter could charge it while powered down if the barrel plug is the right size and it has the same voltage.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…