cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS ROG Strix G713RW Keyboard lagging

Elecsander
Level 8
Hello everyone!
I have a problem with my laptop. When the computer is on for a longer time, keyboard starts to lag and stutter. It takes 1-2 seconds for it to start working, and after about 10 secs of not using it problem happens again. When problem happens while gaming it also stutters sound and picture. Only restarting solves the problem, but after longer time of computer working it reappears.
Ways of solving the problem which I tried:
- Uninstalling keyboard drivers
- Turning of the touchpad in BIOS (doesn't have such option)
- Updating drivers
- Resetting Windows
- Uninstalling antivirus
Can somebody help me how to fix this problem, it's really frustrating.

CPU:
AMD Ryzen 7 6800H
Nvidia GeForce RTX 3070Ti+ATI Radeon Graphics
16GB RAM
SSD 1TB
Windows 11 Home
25 REPLIES 25

Jnanislore
Level 9
Start with this troubleshooter and keep Googling for an answer if this doesn't work, so try these steps, and I've never encounter this issue on a computer, but you can try these steps: https://www.minitool.com/news/windows-10-keyboard-lag.html

I've same problem with my Rog Strix G15 G513RM laptop. The keyboard is laggy and shuttering. All drivers are updated.

NickT
Level 9
If you dont have issues in the Bios, It's a Windows problem. At least that's what google is telling me start with.

homaptz
Level 8
Elecsander wrote:
Hello everyone!
I have a problem with my laptop. When the computer is on for a longer time, keyboard starts to lag and stutter. It takes 1-2 seconds for it to start working, and after about 10 secs of not using it problem happens again. When problem happens while gaming it also stutters sound and picture. Only restarting solves the problem, but after longer time of computer working it reappears.

I've been experiencing the exact same problem since the day I bought my Strix G15 G513RM (almost 4 months already).
But I want to mention that when keyboard starts lagging - at the same time bluetooth tray icon blinks and BT module goes off for the same 1-2 seconds. The Windows logs this event as BTHUSB error with code 18. No matter which KB/BT drivers were used, which power mode is used, AC plugged or not. After reinstalling OS from scratch three times with all the latest ASUS drivers - problem remains. I tried everything possible...

...but looks like that I finally found the solution, so:

== SOLUTION! ==
- go to the "Device Manager" and expand the "Human Interface Devices" section
- scroll to "USB Input Device" and open its settings
- on "Power Management" tab you can find that the option "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" is enabled by default, once you turn it off - the problem disappears immediately.

PS: What's interesting - sometimes after system restart the Power Management tab not present at all:

Hope that helps.

[QUOTE=homaptz;883048

== SOLUTION! ==
- on "Power Management" tab you can find that the option "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" is enabled by default, once you turn it off - the problem disappears immediately.

Hope that helps.

Ok, I did as you instructed me. For now everything is fine, but I will monitor for the next few days, because this problem used to reappear after some time (like today after some 2 months).
It also confuses me, that in my "Device manager" i have 3 separate positions related to my keyboard of which only 2 have the saving power option. Weird af.

homaptz wrote:
I've been experiencing the exact same problem since the day I bought my Strix G15 G513RM (almost 4 months already).
But I want to mention that when keyboard starts lagging - at the same time bluetooth tray icon blinks and BT module goes off for the same 1-2 seconds. The Windows logs this event as BTHUSB error with code 18. No matter which KB/BT drivers were used, which power mode is used, AC plugged or not. After reinstalling OS from scratch three times with all the latest ASUS drivers - problem remains. I tried everything possible...

...but looks like that I finally found the solution, so:

== SOLUTION! ==

PS: What's interesting - sometimes after system restart the Power Management tab not present at all:

Hope that helps.

Ok, I did as you instructed me. For now everything is fine, but I will monitor for the next few days, because this problem used to reappear after some time (like today after some 2 months).
It also confuses me, that in my "Device manager" i have 3 separate positions related to my keyboard of which only 2 have the saving power option. Weird af.

Elecsander wrote:

As for "3 positions" - that's fine. But you're talking about the "Keyboard" section - you DO NOT need to change anything in it.
Just in case to avoid misunderstanding, I'd like to clarify once again - the one and only "power" setting you need to disable is under "Human Interface Devices" section, in the device that is exactly called "USB Input Device" (as shown on the screenshots in previous post).

In my case that helped me get rid of the problem permanently. I've also tested it on a fresh win10 installation, when the setting is ON (by default) - bug persists, when it's OFF - everything works like a charm.

You problem solving hero!

I have 4 devices with that name, I turned it off on them all. Right now it feels it fixed the problem, we'll see what happens in the next days but I feel like you fixed it mate, thx for it!