cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus rog strix g15 advantage edition - graphics card issue?

Ajax
Level 7
So I just got this new laptop and maybe I'm not understanding how the graphics cards work in it. So it has the integral card built into the cpu and also the 6800M. It list the 6800m as discrete/hybrid and appears the other graphics for the integral is the primary. User benchmark shows it as the integral as primary and obviously is delivering a low gpu score. Is there a way to switch the 6800m to primary or am I just not understanding how it works? I haven't installed a game yet to test fps but I want to make sure I understand how this works. This is the first laptop I've ever owned as I've always used a desktop. Any help for clarification is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
1 REPLY 1

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Although it doesn't always work as well as it should with some software, the system should automatically switch to your discrete GPU when needed (like when running a game or benchmark), so something doesn't sound right with your software or hardware if the benchmark is running with the integrated cpu graphics.

One thing to check is to make sure you see the 6800M display adapter in device manager and there aren't any errors or problems with it.

As far as I know, the software out of the box should be okay with most software if you want to erase everything and factory reset windows or just reinstall /downgrade the cpu and gpu graphics drivers from the ASUS download page.
https://rog.asus.com/us/laptops/rog-strix/2021-rog-strix-g15-advantage-edition-series/helpdesk_downl...

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?125161-Asus-rog-strix-g15-advantage-edition-graphics-card-...

Guessing you purchased the unit from Best Buy and if you're seeing problems with the 6800M in device manager after the factory reset that appear to be hardware related, you may want to talk to Best Buy about getting the hardware checked or replaced if it's necessary and you still are within the return period.

Feel free to discuss and let us know how it goes.