cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

asus rog g16 weird memory upgrade issue

tinkermonkey
Level 7

Hi, I have tried to install 2 brands of 2x32 ddr5 4800 memory sticks.   crucial and gskill.  timings were cl40 on the first and cl 38 on the second.  The crucial used to be fine no issues, but I had to send my laptop in for service by asus and when i got it back i reinstalled the memory and all I get is a black screen, won't post.  I can put back the original memory and its fine but both types of memory are not posting...anyone with ideas of what I may be missing?  I tried unplugging battery and waiting for 30 min for any cmos or battery to discharge and that didnt change anything.  I tried reverting back to 308 firmware but that didnt help so im back to 309.  Help if you have any ideas please!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Flo
Level 10

Hello,

Not sure it will help, but I saw a post on reddit from a guy with a G18 which had trouble booting with Kingston memory sticks like you are with crucial and gskill memory sticks.

He did solve the issue with these steps:

With original memory sticks:

Power-on your G16, enter Bios, press F9 (load optimized default), then save and exit.

Power-off your G16

Unplugg battery

remove original memory sticks

replace them with new memory sticks

plug battery again and power-on : from there it seems the laptop will make a memory training for about 3 minutes.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Flo
Level 10

Hello,

Not sure it will help, but I saw a post on reddit from a guy with a G18 which had trouble booting with Kingston memory sticks like you are with crucial and gskill memory sticks.

He did solve the issue with these steps:

With original memory sticks:

Power-on your G16, enter Bios, press F9 (load optimized default), then save and exit.

Power-off your G16

Unplugg battery

remove original memory sticks

replace them with new memory sticks

plug battery again and power-on : from there it seems the laptop will make a memory training for about 3 minutes.

tinkermonkey
Level 7

thank you Flo,  this worked but I also changed to kingson ram and the 5600 speed is only being read at 4800, so not perfect but at least not a black screen!