cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus GL551JW & ASUS AI Suite to control fan speed?

oliverrr
Level 7
I want to control the fan speed of my latop. I have this model GL551JW.

One of your reps suggested to get AI Suite. But it seems this model is not supported yet. Anyone can confirm this? Or maybe help me with the install?

The advice seems bogus since he also said - "I am sorry to hear about these numbers, very surprising indeed. Try going on Nvidia and updating your drivers to its latest firmware." The advice is highly questionable since, based from experience, drivers not coming from Asus support site aren't really welcome by Asus laptops for install.

Anyway, I really want to control the fan of my laptop to bring down the temps below 80c during gaming. Don't care if they would be noisy.
10 REPLIES 10

Clintlgm
Level 14
There is no safe way to control your fans that is why Asus does not give us any options in the UEFI/BIOS settings. Your fans are controlled by the temp of the GPU and CPU. If they are not doing there job you should figure out why they aren't? Are you clogged up with dust? Do you need a repaste of your CPU and GPU? are your vents blocked in anyway. 80C is not bad and your Fans are running at top speed. One of the three things I mention probably needs attention.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

AsSaSsInJ0HN
Level 7
Its Auto. Fan controls Automatic . Thats it .
Thats How you can play it CoooooooooooooooL 😄

This GL551JW I'm using is less than a month old so I doubt its due to dust or need of a new paste. I'm using it in an elevated position as well to ensure good airflow.

CPU usage hardly gets above 30% and temp reached ~80c already, is that normal? I have an old laptop but never really bothered monitoring temp during gaming. And I was really bothered by the reply of the customer rep in the newegg product review section. I believe there was a implied recognition of a problem and that a solution is readily available (ASUS AI Suite).

Yes you shouldn't be running that hot at 30%, looks like since you satisfied yourself that accumulated dust, and Air Flow are not the issue, that leaves you with needing a repaste I would contact cl-albert to assist you with RMA he can help make sure your issue actual gets Repaired when you RMA here in the states if your overseas somewhere he can put you in touch with the CL Customer Loyalty Rep in your area.
If you are still in the window to return for replacement or refund you should just take it back and get another one, during manufacturing crap happen sometimes that's why we have warranties and or windows to return for replacement or refund.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

I'm overseas and I think I missed the return window already. Please help me with the repaste. I'm from Manila, Philippines.

But for the GPU, at ~85% load / usage, is it normal to have 80c temp?

See this thread perhaps you'll find more information it for a notebook similar to yourshttp://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?81598-G551-Series-How-to-solve-overheating-throttling-and-more I don't advise anything except to RMA there are several other threads for overheating G551 Etc similar notebooks to yours. Search them up and read them all then decide how you will proceed.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Clintlgm

I'm going for a repaste. Please assist with the RMA. If it won't get solved, then that's the time I will consider putting holes on my own.

cl-albert is the only Asus employee here. You will need to PM him and ask for assistance He usually ask for you to initiate the RMA. So you would be past your return to Vendor window? What with the holiday's and all you might not see cl-albert here in the forum until after the 1st of the year. He has a Sticky in the red stickies click on his name and start a PM to him.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

King_Arthas
Level 7
Same as mine GL552 looks like all asus with GTX 960 have overheating pb