cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus GL502VM Overheating & Fix questions.

Izuizu
Level 7
Hey all,

I just bought my Asus ROG GL502VM, 7700HQ + GTX 1060 laptop, and the first thing I noticed was the excessive heat blown outta the air vent while I gamed for about 30min. Also, the surface of the laptop, slight above the keyboard where the cpu/gpu chips are located underneath I believe, felt extremely hot.
I tested the core temperature with MSI Afterburner and the core temp. was around 85c – 93c. I got a little frustrated, because 93c is not good.
I went online and did some research, and it seems a lot of GL502VM/VS owners have the same problem.

I switched out the mechanical HDD with Intel SSD and did a fresh windows 10 installation. I disabled the i7 7700HQ Turbo boost and set the Max Processor State to 95%, installed intel extreme tuning utility (XTU) and downvolted the processor to -0.110V. I’ve just tested the core temperature with XTU and Asus Gaming Centre. Fortunately both programs display 47c ~ 52c while idle and 68c ~ 75c while under load, however the surface of the laptop still feels extremely hot, probably just as hot as when the core temp was around 93c….so I’m wondering if the XTU/Asus Gaming Centre temperature display are correct…

Also, I own a dell inspiron 7559 with 6300HQ + GTX 960m (which doesn’t generate as much heat as7700 and 1060), and I tested with Afterburner that the core/gpu temp. are around 68c~73c under load, but the surface of the laptop around the keyboard (where the cpu is located beneath) does not feel nearly as hot as my GL502. So im wondering if materials that Asus used on the GL502 are really good heat conductors? Or are the cpu/gpu pretty much slapped together right under the keyboard? I mean both laptops have approximately the same core/gpu temp after tunning….but the GL502 felt like an oven….

Does anyone know if this is normal? Or for those who have undervolted their cpu, are the surface of the laptop still very hot?
8 REPLIES 8

Bran187
Level 9
Izuizu wrote:
Hey all,

I just bought my Asus ROG GL502VM, 7700HQ + GTX 1060 laptop, and the first thing I noticed was the excessive heat blown outta the air vent while I gamed for about 30min. Also, the surface of the laptop, slight above the keyboard where the cpu/gpu chips are located underneath I believe, felt extremely hot.
I tested the core temperature with MSI Afterburner and the core temp. was around 85c – 93c. I got a little frustrated, because 93c is not good.
I went online and did some research, and it seems a lot of GL502VM/VS owners have the same problem.

I switched out the mechanical HDD with Intel SSD and did a fresh windows 10 installation. I disabled the i7 7700HQ Turbo boost and set the Max Processor State to 95%, installed intel extreme tuning utility (XTU) and downvolted the processor to -0.110V. I’ve just tested the core temperature with XTU and Asus Gaming Centre. Fortunately both programs display 47c ~ 52c while idle and 68c ~ 75c while under load, however the surface of the laptop still feels extremely hot, probably just as hot as when the core temp was around 93c….so I’m wondering if the XTU/Asus Gaming Centre temperature display are correct…

Also, I own a dell inspiron 7559 with 6300HQ + GTX 960m (which doesn’t generate as much heat as GL502), and I tested with Afterburner that the core/gpu temp. are around 68c~73c under load, but the surface of the laptop around the keyboard (where the cpu is located beneath) does not feel nearly as hot as my GL502. So im wondering if materials that Asus used on the GL502 are really good heat conductors? Or are the cpu/gpu pretty much slapped together right under the keyboard? I mean both laptops have approximately the same core/gpu temp after tunning….but the GL502 felt like an oven….

Haha what's funny is that I also owned a 7559 before my 502 and my temps are basically identical to yours for both. XD

Anyway, right now I have my 502 in a place that I am comfortable with temperature wise. Right now both my CPU and GPU are hanging out in the 75-83ish degree range under gaming load (depending on the game). What I have done is three things, first I undervollt my CPU using the Intel XTU. I have it undervolted by -.130. Second I have my GPU on a custom voltage curve using MSI afterburner. My results with the profile provided by Onjax was pretty lackluster, but after some research and playing around I have found a custom curve that works well for me. Thanks to these things, I have been able to reenable turbo boost. 😛 But yeah with turbo disabled the temps get even lower. I also repasted my CPU and GPU, though I don't think it really impacted thermals that much.

Ultimately I think you should go check out the thread by Onjax here: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?89061-GL702VM-amp-similar-Solution-to-Performance-issues-O...

Play around with undervolting your CPU and GPU. See how far you can push each one while still being stable. See what that does for you temperature wise. It helped mine quite a bit. 🙂

PS: Sorry for rambling/if I didn't make sense. I am running on very little sleep at the moment. XD Cheers mate.

Bran187 wrote:
Haha what's funny is that I also owned a 7559 before my 502 and my temps are basically identical to yours for both. XD

Anyway, right now I have my 502 in a place that I am comfortable with temperature wise. Right now both my CPU and GPU are hanging out in the 75-83ish degree range under gaming load (depending on the game). What I have done is three things, first I undervollt my CPU using the Intel XTU. I have it undervolted by -.130. Second I have my GPU on a custom voltage curve using MSI afterburner. My results with the profile provided by Onjax was pretty lackluster, but after some research and playing around I have found a custom curve that works well for me. Thanks to these things, I have been able to reenable turbo boost. 😛 But yeah with turbo disabled the temps get even lower. I also repasted my CPU and GPU, though I don't think it really impacted thermals that much.

Ultimately I think you should go check out the thread by Onjax here: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?89061-GL702VM-amp-similar-Solution-to-Performance-issues-O...

Play around with undervolting your CPU and GPU. See how far you can push each one while still being stable. See what that does for you temperature wise. It helped mine quite a bit. 🙂

PS: Sorry for rambling/if I didn't make sense. I am running on very little sleep at the moment. XD Cheers mate.

oh lol yea, the 7559 is a nice laptop with fairly good heat sink...wish the GL502 is just as good xD. But anyways, thank you very much for the link to Onjax's thread, it helped a ton! I'm gonna play around with all the cpu/gpu settings and see how that goes.

Thanks for the help!

Izuizu wrote:
oh lol yea, the 7559 is a nice laptop with fairly good heat sink...wish the GL502 is just as good xD. But anyways, thank you very much for the link to Onjax's thread, it helped a ton! I'm gonna play around with all the cpu/gpu settings and see how that goes.

Thanks for the help!

No problem! The tricky part was finding a good GPU curve. But that just took a bit of time and patience. 🙂 Cheers!

Hello!

I know this is a know issue. But still would like some advice. I have an Asus gl502vml gaming laptop. The problem is that it gets incredible hot when playing games. The laptop can run the games without a problem but the CPU gets over a 100 degrees and the laptop shuts itself down after a few minutes in game. The laptop has always became hot while playing, but not like it does right now. I tried to undervolt my laptop to -0.130v but still 100 degrees. What could be the reason it gets so hot even when undervolting. And what could I do to try and solve it.

Idle temprature is 50 to 60 degrees.

Thanks in advance,
Merijn

Bran187 wrote:
No problem! The tricky part was finding a good GPU curve. But that just took a bit of time and patience. 🙂 Cheers!

Hello 🙂
Do you mind to share how / what settings do you have set ?
Also I find it absolutly ridicolous, that one buy a high end laptop...and to use it... you have to DOWNCLOCK it....

TDA1990 wrote:
Hello 🙂
Do you mind to share how / what settings do you have set ?
Also I find it absolutly ridicolous, that one buy a high end laptop...and to use it... you have to DOWNCLOCK it....

You don't have to downclock it. If you undervolt it, it will run at a higher clock, lower voltage and lower temps, if you do it right. There's a dedicated thread specially for the 502VS/GL and many people posted their curves there. Keep in mind those will probably not work for you because each and every chip comes out different from the factory, so you have to try it yourself. Just use those as a reference. Takes a lot of time and patience to get it perfect but its worth it.

FULLMETALJACKET7 wrote:
You don't have to downclock it. If you undervolt it, it will run at a higher clock, lower voltage and lower temps, if you do it right. There's a dedicated thread specially for the 502VS/GL and many people posted their curves there. Keep in mind those will probably not work for you because each and every chip comes out different from the factory, so you have to try it yourself. Just use those as a reference. Takes a lot of time and patience to get it perfect but its worth it.

Ah thank you for the clarification.
Do you mind to link it ?
Also I have undervolt the CPU (tried to 100, then 130 and now 150) ... but temps still over 90 ... Playing COD is almost impossible due to lag when it reach such temperatures...

TDA1990 wrote:
Ah thank you for the clarification.
Do you mind to link it ?
Also I have undervolt the CPU (tried to 100, then 130 and now 150) ... but temps still over 90 ... Playing COD is almost impossible due to lag when it reach such temperatures...

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?89061-GL702VM-amp-similar-Solution-to-Performance-issues-O...
Someone posted this link on post #2. It's for the 702vm but it's a good starting point.