cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All Issues with ROG Strix G15 Advantage Edition

ihanafy
Level 7
Hello guys,

So I've gotten my ROG Strix advantage Edition G15 almost 2 months back. The laptop is pretty great and is an actual beast. However, I've had a lot of small issues that can really get annoying and sometimes unbearable. I'm hoping I can get insights/potential fixes over them and why they do what they do as well as whether it's an issue that ASUS can fix with an update or that's just how it is.

My Serial number starts with MC meaning it's a December 2021 batch (The latest as far as I know) and was bought early march.

List:

Dolby Access would just act like it was never installed and completely take away the license that came with the laptop. I'd have to reinstall the whole driver and restart the computer twice in the process for an issue that shouldn't even be happening

I'm not that big on minecraft but when I do play it I just never go anywhere above 40 - 60 FPS. I've tried EVERYTHING (Prioritising it to High performance, played with settings in the Radeon control panel, windows settings, minecraft settings, Tried tweaking it from my drivers page, Got my software engineer cousin to help out. Nothing. It performs worse or same as my old GTX 950M Laptop). SOMETIMES it would be running at 150 fps but all Im seeing is 30 and I try adjusting display settings everywhere but nothing fixes it. When at the same time I'm running games like Cyberpunk, Warzone, Vanguard, Control on max settings like a dream.

For some reason when playing a game. I can't be watching Youtube or playing videos, the audio just has this constant scratching. You can't play more than one kind of audio otherwise the laptop just doesn't know what to do the mouse lags, the whole computer just craps itself. This is especially apparent when I have zoom on for my classes.

Using a second monitor is a nightmare. The laptop screen completely stops responding and stays stuck on one page and changes frames every few seconds or so. It's either I set the second monitor only to display, or laptop screen only, or duplicate which beats the purpose of having a second monitor and it's really annoying because having a single monitor after using dual screens for a while can get irritating and be counter-productive.

I don't know if Im the only one with this issue but sometimes Aura just doesn't work unless I restart. It stays stuck on the same setting and wouldn't switch, as well as sometimes not even work unless I reinstall the driver.

I was told I can customize what some of the buttons do on the laptop but can't find the feature anywhere for the life of me. I checked myasus, Armoury crate, windows settings, even bios. Nothing (Not a big deal and if not possible It's fine)

Sometimes when it's on battery and it sleeps, it fully just restarts on its own. if I had anything important on it. That would not be fun

The laptop is amazing with a very impressive battery life for the performance, an insane display, decent speaker system, beyond amazing performance for its price range. But these issues will probably lead me to sell the laptop and go for something else. Either a different brand or NVidia if it's not an AMD stability issue.

Thank you
1 REPLY 1

Shauntre
Level 8
ihanafy wrote:
Hello guys,

So I've gotten my ROG Strix advantage Edition G15 almost 2 months back. The laptop is pretty great and is an actual beast. However, I've had a lot of small issues that can really get annoying and sometimes unbearable.

But these issues will probably lead me to sell the laptop and go for something else. Either a different brand or NVidia if it's not an AMD stability issue.

Thank you

Cheers ihanafy.
I also have the same machine and regret my buy.
It is the far most unreliable piece of tech I ever owned.

I will hold on to mine for another year and then sell it off, as budget is tight right now.
But there are so many issues around this laptop and ASUS just does not care.

I live in Germany here and it is impossible to get in contact with ASUS regarding issues, the same here in the forum, they just do not respond, neither on reddit or facebook.
So if you have issues you might just go on with another brand of laptop.

I got a monitor from BENQ and I am struggeling in a similar way.
Seems like the Taiwanese companies do not care once the product left their country borders.

Shame, but do not expect any help here.

For your issue.
Try it with a fresh install of windows, then make a backup the machine and install every driver individually.