2021 ROG Strix G17 G713QR BIOS Version 329 - Fan speeds too high

Triton_se
Level 8
Both fans are running well over 2000rpm at lowest settings in Manual mode, 1%

When using my fan profile: "22%/18% 1900rpm/1600rpm" I get ~3100rpm/3100rpm
0% = 0rpm

BIOS 327 had 3000rpm as minimum, but I didn't check the 1% rpm

BIOS 325 and all previous have worked well with Manual mode fan speeds

I'm using external monitor with USB-C port -> DP 1.4 cable, also tested with HMDI port -> HDMI cable

CPU fan replacement was not great (ASUS job a year ago), I have two of these non-gaming fan profiles, another is "21%/18% 1900rpm/1600rpm" coz CPU fan will make noise in one or the other.

1st install attempt was in Windows 10, but the BitLocker warning during install made me flash 329 via USB stick in BIOS. Then let MyAsus get another "329 file" so System Firmware is 329 in Windows "sumthing sumthing"..device manager?

Currently fans are at 1%, spinning 2200/2300rpm - I'm going back to BIOS 325

1 REPLY 1

Psyched
Level 7
Stick with 325 for now, as I have the exact same model and that's what I have chosen to do. The last 2 bios updates have problems.

BIOS 327 has low fan RPM causing temps to be higher than usual
BIOS 329 has high fan RPM and a brightness bug that dims the internal display brightness

All bios versions are currently susceptible to the FTPM stutter issue because ASUS currently refuses to accept that it is an issue in their AMD products, especially their laptops. I am currently in contact with their support and so far it's been a back and forth on how the stutter isn't caused by FTPM and that I should start the RMA process they sent me to send my laptop in, when I know for a fact it is more than likely an FTPM related issue. I am not sure why they are so resistant in just implementing the AGESA 1207 v2 fix.

If you have this problem too, do not send your laptop in as you have a chance of receiving it back in a worse state than it already is. Eventually they will have to do something about this as it is causing a large uproar at this point. ASUS has started rejecting support for 2020 laptop models, so it seems like they only support a device for exactly 2 years before they render it obsolete which is a bit silly when it comes to serious issues.