cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New pg278qr

Nagumo
Level 7
Hello fellow Swifters,

I have recently purchased the PG278QR and was initially very happy with it.
I have come across a few problems, Amazon are shipping me a new replacement (they've given me 90 days to return the faulty one).
But from looking around on the forums I'm worried this is something I will just have to live with, please advise.

Basically I am seeing banding/pixelation in dark images, exactly like https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?88573-PG248Q-Is-this-normal
The thread is now closed and the consensus seems to be it's the type of panel and there's nothing we can do about it.

I am also seeing a noticeable line that appears down the middle of the monitor or bright vertical lines that either run along on the left or right edge of the monitor.
Again this is a known problem on the PG279Q and a firmware fix was made available.
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?87380-Firmware-Update-for-ROG-SWIFT-PG279Q

I find it hard to believe that one the newer model it suffers with exactly the same faults...
8 REPLIES 8

Taff11171
Level 7
Hi Nagumo. I bought the same monitor last week and noticed the banding. To make this less noticeable I checked on various forums by doing a Google search and you need to calibrate the monitor. The settings I currently have are as follows: -

Blue Light Filter - Level 0
Brightness - 23
Contrast - 50
Saturation - 50
Colour temp - red - 97
green - 98
blue - 100
Gamma - 2.2

Dark boost - none

You can tweek these to your liking but I find them great and give a superb picture.

With regards to the line down the centre and on the left and right of the screen, I have experienced that once and just flicked the monitor on and off and it was gone. Some games will always show banding usually on dark colours. I have read there have been issues mainly with Nvidia cards causing this with bad drivers. It doesn't do it on all games however. Hope this helps.

Taff

Thanks for the reply.

I have checked my settings and they were almost identical to yours.
My problem is there is even banding in places like the grey background of the Steam Library.
It wouldn't be so bad but it wasn't present on the other 2 monitors I have here, a sub £60 HKC TN panel and a £120 LG TN panel. (I normally use a 60" 4K tv with a 9.2 ATMOS system but realise I can't compare the TV to the ASUS TN)
It's not really the kind of quality I was expecting for a £5-600 monitor.

If the replacement is the same I will end up getting a refund, just not sure what else to get.
From what I've been reading the Panel used is also used by BenQ, Acer and AOC.

Just in case anyone is interested I have also purchased a Hero Maximus VIII which is also faulty... so say what you will about QC

#Update

I tried contacting ASUS today via Live Chat as I still haven't received a reply to my support ticket (over 48hours).
When the agent realised he had spoken to me before he left the chat and now it appears my IP is blocked as I can't get back on live chat.
Used TOR got back on live chat (created a new ASUS account) only to be blocked again when the Agent realised it was me again.

Absolutely discusting!

Nagumo wrote:
#Update

I tried contacting ASUS today via Live Chat as I still haven't received a reply to my support ticket (over 48hours).
When the agent realised he had spoken to me before he left the chat and now it appears my IP is blocked as I can't get back on live chat.
Used TOR got back on live chat (created a new ASUS account) only to be blocked again when the Agent realised it was me again.

Absolutely discusting!

Hi, please PM me and I'll help you with your issue.

Nagumo, I have had a problem with my monitor and was wondering if you could try something to see if you get the same result. I have both hdmi and display port cables attached to my monitor and graphics card as I wanted to change from hdmi to display port by using the osd menu on the monitor so as to use the 50hz modes. The problem I have is when I have both cables connected and go into 165hz mode when using the display port, the screen goes into dual monitor mode and the icons disappear as if on a phantom 2nd monitor. I have tried to change the windows 10 settings to stop this going into dual monitor mode but it doesn't work. I only does this when you go into 165hz. Can you see if you get the same result? I have already put a post on this forum about it but had no replies.

Thanks

James*

I can certainly give it a go and will let you know.

As for no replies, that seems to be an ASUS thing.
I've not had a reply to my ticket in over a week, no call backs as promised and not response from my email I was asked to send either.

Sorry, scratch that last reply.

I've requested a refund for the monitor as ASUS don't seem to want to provide any customer support.
My Hero Maximus VIII is also being RMA'd (so many faults with this it's crazy, already been back 3 times) and I've cancelled my pre-order for the ROG 1080ti, going with Gigabyte instead.