cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Make Future Monitor Feature Suggestions Here!

xeromist
Hi all,

ASUS ROG is requesting our best suggestions for ROG product improvements. As a moderator I won’t have the ability to implement your suggestions but I will be picking some of the best to highlight for the ROG team so they know what matters to us, the community.

Some guidelines for this thread:
1) Keep it positive and constructive. In most of the forum I try to allow you all to express your thoughts freely (within reason). This thread has the express purpose of generating constructive suggestions so I will be moderating this thread and deleting posts that do not contribute to that goal.
2) Keep it concise and on topic. Some minor discussion regarding a specific suggestion is welcome but if you would like to have a longer conversation I ask you start an additional thread and link it in your post here. You can also request a moderator move your posts if you have need.
3) Try for realistic ideas that appeal broadly to gamers. A small improvement on an existing ROG product is much more likely to get chosen than an entirely new product that only matters to a small number of people.
4) Support your favorites! You don’t have to come up with a suggestion to help. If you see something you like, quote it and say so! More support for an idea improves its chances.

EDIT:
I’ve updated the titles for these feedback threads to reflect that this is primarily for *future* products. Sorry for the lack of clarity. While there is a chance some ideas could be implemented via software updates it’s most likely any suggestions would be rolled into new products.
Also, these threads are not for issue reporting and such posts won’t reach the right people. Please post issues in the ROG Care > Hardware & Software Support section. Or contact ASUS support via phone or email for immediate assistance.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…
26 REPLIES 26

darkcg
Level 9
xeromist wrote:
Hi all,

ASUS ROG is requesting our best suggestions for ROG product improvements. As a moderator I won’t have the ability to implement your suggestions but I will be picking some of the best to highlight for the ROG team so they know what matters to us, the community.

Some guidelines for this thread:
1) Keep it positive and constructive. In most of the forum I try to allow you all to express your thoughts freely (within reason). This thread has the express purpose of generating constructive suggestions so I will be moderating this thread and deleting posts that do not contribute to that goal.
2) Keep it concise and on topic. Some minor discussion regarding a specific suggestion is welcome but if you would like to have a longer conversation I ask you start an additional thread and link it in your post here. You can also request a moderator move your posts if you have need.
3) Try for realistic ideas that appeal broadly to gamers. A small improvement on an existing ROG product is much more likely to get chosen than an entirely new product that only matters to a small number of people.
4) Support your favorites! You don’t have to come up with a suggestion to help. If you see something you like, quote it and say so! More support for an idea improves its chances.

Possibility to disable deep sleep on monitors? Many monitors are suffering from difficulties in hooking the video signal ... Look at the PG32UQ and how many people are experiencing difficulties with the video signal. Releasing a more battle tested product would be a start in the first place.
Improving products is always a good thing, but releasing them in an unfinished state is a practice that must stop.

xeromist
I believe sleep mode is regulated by various government bodies. So disabling it probably can't happen, but if other people want this too I'll forward it to the ROG folks and they can decide.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

A couple more suggestions for the PG32UQ:

1. Enable color temp. controls in sRGB mode. I use sRGB mode to clamp down the gamut for general desktop usage. Without OSD color controls in this mode, I have to use my calibrated ICC profile to get the monitor to D65. This also means that other non-PC devices that I connect to the monitor (e.g. streaming devices, game consoles) are stuck with the default color temperature in sRGB mode.

2. Keep intermediate refresh rates available when monitor overclocking is enabled. 100, 120, and 144Hz are available when overclocking is off. When overclocked to 155Hz, 100, 120, and 144Hz are disabled. It would be preferrable to have 155Hz on, while keeping 100, 120Hz, and 144Hz available for video content which could be 24p, 30p, 50p, etc. On my older PG348Q, 80, 85, 90, and 95 Hz are all available even when the monitor is overclocked to 100Hz.

3. Even out the overdrive control for the refresh range of the monitor. At 60Hz and below, OD >2 shows noticeable overshoot. At 100Hz and above, noticeable overshoot starts at OD 5.

4. Add a maximum content luminance tool for HDR content. This is probably asking too much for a monitor that's not targeted for content production, but such a tool would really help for dialing in maximum HDR luminance in games that use arbitrary numbers for HDR calibration. A current example of this is Halo Infinite, where the HDR setting is a percentage instead of nits or cd/m2.

xeromist wrote:
I believe sleep mode is regulated by various government bodies. So disabling it probably can't happen, but if other people want this too I'll forward it to the ROG folks and they can decide.

Xeromist thank you for your reply. Is there some way to know an official answer for what Asus thinks about the difficulties on hooking the video signal with some configurations on the PG32UQ? There are people who can't enter the BIOS even with recent graphic cards (eg. RTX 3090).
Till now we haven't received any official response about this and we don't know where the problem lies (the videocard, the monitor, the motherboard, etc.)
Everybody seems to have a different experience and sometimes the problem seems to appear randomly. Also, re-hooking the signal from a sleep state seems to be very , very slow. One word if this is solvable, if they're looking into it or whatever action they will take would be highly appreciated.

Thank you.

darkcg wrote:
Xeromist thank you for your reply. Is there some way to know an official answer for what Asus thinks about the difficulties on hooking the video signal with some configurations on the PG32UQ? There are people who can't enter the BIOS even with recent graphic cards (eg. RTX 3090).
Till now we haven't received any official response about this and we don't know where the problem lies (the videocard, the monitor, the motherboard, etc.)
Everybody seems to have a different experience and sometimes the problem seems to appear randomly. Also, re-hooking the signal from a sleep state seems to be very , very slow. One word if this is solvable, if they're looking into it or whatever action they will take would be highly appreciated.

Thank you.

Due to the lunar new year holiday many staff will be out of the office. I will pass this concern along to ASUS when I can but it might take a while to get a response. I'm already following the other thread on this topic so we can keep the discussion in that thread.

Kobol
Level 8
All the suggestions here are really helpfull.

I want to add another one. I struggle to find perfect brightness settings for all day time. In daylight I set it to 50 but in the night its too bright and need to go to 40. It is total nonsense to change brightness twice a day manually so it will be great if you can create brightness profile for day and night usage (software automatic change of brightness based on day time). One way is to integrate that functionality in Asus monitor control software.

Color temp setting is also a must. I tend to use 6700K temp on all my monitors and I have to use third party apps to set it.

Also please fix Asus DisplayWidget as it doesnt control brightness in Windows 11 (you can move brightness slider but it doesnt affect the actual brightness).

hwanzi
Level 7
can we please get a firmware update for the Asus-XG27AQM described here: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?124839-Suggestions-Improvements-for-Asus-XG27AQM-(270hz-wi...

xeromist
Some posts removed. Please stay on the topic of feature suggestions. Thank you.

liquidshadowfox
Level 8

My #1 suggestion is to create a blur busters approved monitor with Variable Refresh Rate enabled at the same time as backlight strobing on a good IPS panel without red phosphor. ELMB sync is an amazing feature for me as it improves clarity at high refreshes and I get to keep Gsync/freesync enabled. 

What does being blur buster approved entail? The following

1. Improved color quality of motion blur reduction
    Old strobe backlights such as LightBoost were poor color quality, and had large brightness loss. A Blur Busters Approved monitor means        better color quality during motion blur reduction. IPS monitors containing motion blur reduction can contain nearly 100% sRGB color             gamut!
2. Eliminate strobe crosstalk double-images
     Many low-quality strobe backlights generate too much strobe crosstalk, creating harsh looking motion. A Blur Busters Approved monitor        means less strobe crosstalk.
3. Adjustable persistence with variable MPRT
    Reducing motion blur sometimes leads to large brightness loss. We understand two different pixel response benchmarks, GtG versus            MPRT. A Blur Busters Approved monitor means adjustable trade-off between brightness versus motion clarity. In addition, flexible strobe        level adjustments allows adjustable MPRT that can become better than 1ms MPRT.
4. Additional refresh rates with motion blur reduction
    More refresh rates are made available with motion blur reduction on a Blur Busters Approved monitor. Lower refresh rates can mean              reduced strobe crosstalk, while high refresh rates can mean reduced input latency.
5. Firmware upgradeable
    Monitors are getting complex with more features. Worried about bugs? Firmware upgradeable means increased peace of mind!                      Manufacturers are required to permit end-user firmware upgrades in order to get the Blur Busters seal of approval.
6. Vastly improved motion blur reduction at lower Hz on a high Hz monitor
    Refresh rate headroom is very healthy for motion blur reduction. 120 Hz strobing on a 240 Hz monitor can be tuned to be vastly superior        quality to 120 Hz strobing on a 144 Hz monitor. Even though users have a choice of higher-Hz motion blur reduction, people who prefer        CRT will be pleased to know that a Blur Busters Approved monitor, strobed at a Hz well below maximum, can produce a motion                      experience superior to a CRT.

I currently own the Asus XG27AQM and Asus XG27AQMR and while the ELMB sync implementation does to some extent work(works way better on asus XG27AQMR) there needs to be some updates.

1. ELMB sync needs to be firmware upgradable, these monitors desperately need a firmware update to improve elmb sync, the overdrive is set too high on both, at LEAST allow user selectable overdrive while ELMB sync is active.

2. Enable user selectable overdrive when ELMB sync is active (XG27AQMR works best with overdrive 4 but in ELMB sync mode it replaces it with some weird 255 value through VPC codes being read on the monitor, not sure what's up with that)

3. Enable strobe length change during ELMB sync, the XG27AQMR is too bright with ELMB sync enabled and there's no way to change brightness, when ELMB sync is enabled, turn the DDC commands for changing brightness into strobe length for ELMB sync, I'm pretty sure you can make it a variable that can change the algorithm it uses for PWM between the strobes to prevent flicker.

4.  Allow Asus display widget lite to enable/disable ELMB sync based on what program/game is in the foreground. Gigabyte monitors with aim stabilizer sync already does this and I'd like to see this enabled for asus monitors. Hell I would say you can lock the overdrive while ELMB sync is active ONLY if you allow us to set the exact overdrive we want to use for that specific game/profile using display widget.

These are my suggestions, I am a very big fan of backlight strobing as it's currently the best middle ground for motion clarity. OLEDs are nice but they have burn in, text fringing and limited lifespan vs using a good IPS monitor. Even the best OLEDs on the monitor market currently still have 4.2 ms of persistence (still 4.2 ms of persistence if you use BFI of 120 hz on a 240 hz oled panel) which is not as clear as a perfectly strobbed IPS panel.