cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fastest way to switching DisplayPort and HDMI source

BreakFix
Level 8
Question for the ASUS ROG PG279Q

I work from home and have to frequently switch from DisplayPort (computer) to HDMI (work laptop) and back again.
At the moment I need to enter the Menu, goto Select Input and then hit on or other port options, this is ~8 or 9 toggles of the "menu nipple".

Is there a faster more convenient way to switch inputs? maybe a favorite option or shortcut, like the wonderful mobo BIOS options?

I haven't fireware updated my screen, i've only seen specific issues addressed, no feature enrichment, let me know if i'm wrong.
15 REPLIES 15

FakeKisser
Level 7
I'd also like a resolution here.

I found this post via a Google search, because I have the EXACT same scenario. I use the monitor for work and home, and I use the Display Port for my personal computer and the HDMI for my work Macbook.

The ASUS monitor I used to have had a dedicated source button on the front of the monitor, which was amazing.

I'd also like to request a faster way to switch sources.

Thanks.

Fahrenhe1t
Level 9
I'm using the monitor in the same scenario (need to change input frequently for home and work computer). I've not been able to find a software solution to this. I wish there was a dedicated "input" button. It appears the fastest way would be to:

• Press 5-way button on back
  • Press UP twice
  • Press Right
  • Change input
  • Press 5-way button

SIX button presses to change the input. That's a little excessive and unacceptable.

etacarinae
Level 9
Bumping. I had an NEC A271W that would auto switch to another input if the current input was lost. These are not productivity monitors lest they'd support DP chaining and offer more than 2 inputs.
Intel Core i9 10980XE | ASUS RAMPAGE VI EXTREME ENCORE | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | 128GB G-Skill Trident Z RGB 3000MHz C14
Intel Optane 905P 1.5TB HH PCIe | 2*4TB Samsung EVO 860 | 8TB Sabrent Rocket Q NVMe | 4*14TB Seagate Ironwolf Pro
Corsair AX1600i | EK-AIO 360 D-RGB | Phanteks Enthoo Elite Satin Black | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | 3*ASUS PG279Q
Razer Mamba Elite | Razer Huntsman Elite / RAMA u80-A Lake

xeromist
If you are in a position of needing to switch machines often you may want to invest in a KVM switch. The good ones are not cheap but they are designed for exactly this task.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

bumping up - I'm hoping something has changed or this gets some traction.

My old Dell monitor worked with ClickMonitorDDC which made it possible to switch between inputs with keyboard shortcuts. The app seems to pick up on other settings on the Asus monitor but not input. Given that, I would imagine that this is addressable via a firmware yodate.

KVM is not an option. Why would you have to pay for hardware that requires adding a ton more cables to handle something that software should be able to handle pretty easily if the support is there. There is also software (does requires purchasing) that allows for using mouse and keyboard on other devices via network connection.

andyd0 wrote:
bumping up - I'm hoping something has changed or this gets some traction.

My old Dell monitor worked with ClickMonitorDDC which made it possible to switch between inputs with keyboard shortcuts. The app seems to pick up on other settings on the Asus monitor but not input. Given that, I would imagine that this is addressable via a firmware yodate.

KVM is not an option. Why would you have to pay for hardware that requires adding a ton more cables to handle something that software should be able to handle pretty easily if the support is there. There is also software (does requires purchasing) that allows for using mouse and keyboard on other devices via network connection.

From what I understand DisplayPort is not designed to support DDC except in a degraded mode so it's very likely you'll see displays with DDC support less and less. Those displays that do support it may only support limited features on the HDMI input.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

I'd also like a solution to this. How about an option to change the function of the extra buttons? I know it's a gaming monitor and all, but I never use the overlays or turbo buttons...

This also bothers me. I spent a fair bit of money on an VG279QM. There's 2 buttons you can customize with the OSD menu, but it doesn't allow you to use it for changing sources.
I noticed how my display automatically switches to another source, when you shut down the machine you're using. This can be used as workaround.... use a tool or script that turns off the display. It takes 10-20 seconds for the display to switch to another active source, but might suck less for you.

Get the script here, place it on your desktop: https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/Turn-off-screen-4d173e0a

It doesn't seem normal to me that after so many posts on the internet about this and emails I have sent on my own, Asus doesn't deign to develop a solution for this.

Simply enabling the ability to change the input device in the shortcuts or moving the menu option to be accessible with fewer clicks would already be solved.

The answer I have been given is to buy a KVM adapter... after buying such an expensive monitor the only thing I can think of is to return it, since it is very important for me to switch between my personal and work PC.