cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS PG278Q severe issues

frame
Level 7
Hi,

I'm having severe issues with my PG278Q monitor. After a few days of usage, 1-2 times per day the screen turns black for a second and returns with a super strange double pixel mode.

Here's the rest of the gallery: http://imgur.com/a/1PkcL

Turning off the screen (via power button bottom/right) will cause Windows to freeze for ~10 seconds, then everything returns with a Windows kernel error notification:

Description
A problem with your video hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
Code: 117
Parameter 1: ffffe001c95174d0
Parameter 2: fffff80073f7d5c8
Parameter 3: 0
Parameter 4: 0
OS version: 6_3_9600
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1
OS Version: 6.3.9600.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID: 2057

My Hardware:

• Windows 8.1 64bit
  • PG278Q on 144Hz. OD off, ULMB disabled, 2560x1440
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 (ASUS)
  • GeForce 344.11 Drivers
  • G-Sync enabled

Is my screen broken? Is this a firmware issue or a driver issue?
8 REPLIES 8

frame
Level 7
Update: A few days later my screen fully died. Regardless if a computer is connected, the screen was all white. ASUS acknowledged the problem and will send a replacement unit.

I'll update this thread in case someone else has the same problem.

Jordi
Level 7
hi
im having the issues with the double pixel thing , my screen hasnt died yet .....
did asus acknowledge the problem with the pixels or the white screen ?
Was it hard to get a replacement?

Jordi wrote:
hi
im having the issues with the double pixel thing , my screen hasnt died yet .....
did asus acknowledge the problem with the pixels or the white screen ?
Was it hard to get a replacement?

I'll receive the new monitor on Monday, so far I didn't get a confirmation about these issues, but a white, dead screen is a 100% replacement, regardless of previous issues. So, ASUS acknowledged that my screen is dead, but sadly no word on the double pixel issues, which REALLY bothered me.

The replacement itself was super easy. The procedure depends on the country where you bought the screen. In my case ASUS offers a 3 years warranty with on-site support. I filled out the RMA form on https://eu-rma.asus.com/pick_eu/de/ (This link is for Germany, Austria only) and they will ship the the new screen via UPS in a carton right to my door. Once I get it, I'm required to put the old/broken screen in the carton and call a number. Then a guy will pick it up. Couldn't be simpler actually. I didn't need to leave the house.

cars10
Level 8
oh ****. i had this too. but after a restart it was gone.

what is the manufacture date on your new panel?

you contacted asus directly, or did you send it back to where you bought it?

cars10 wrote:
oh ****. i had this too. but after a restart it was gone.

Yeah that's not really acceptable as solution. It happened constantly here, in 3D and 2D.

I contacted ASUS directly because they offer direct support in my country. I actually called the store first where I bought the screen, but they told me that it's easier if I contact ASUS directly. And that's true, see reply above.

cars10 wrote:

Where exactly can you see the manufacture date? Is it on the the monitor itself?
I checked with a store to know what batch they had, but they showed me the sticker from the box and said the whole batch came at the same time and it doesn't mention any date, just numbers:

P/N: ending in -B01370
Check no.: 0496
Product Code: ending in .QQ1

I'm guessing without opening a box to check on the screen, there's no way to know, and of course they won't be able to open a box, otherwise they won't be able to sell the screen as factory sealed. So, unless these numbers mean anything regarding the manufacture month, I'll have to make a dive and hope for the best. =/

frame
Level 7
I received my replacement screen on Monday, so far no issues.

ASUS sent me the new screen with an additional factory-test menu. I guess this was an oversight, I don't remember seeing this before. Now I see all firmware versions, temperature and other debug information. Took me a while to figure out how to disable the color-cycle test.

cars10 wrote:

The screen that broke was June 2014, the screen I received is July 2014.

Mine just broke tonight, with the same white/bad screen. It was made in July. 😞