cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 7 clean install for g74sx because resume is slow

Retired
Not applicable
Has anyone made a clean install for g74sx?. The reason for the question, I have been deleting a lot of of the software that it is not need it, what I think, but the lapy time for windows resume is as long as if I do a cold boot. I have another brands (sagers, toshibas, dells, lenovos, etc.) and they are very quick to come on from resume. Hey, even my little Asus EeePC is faster to come on. So I am thinking on start from scratch with a new fresh hard drive and windows installation.
I have been checking some other forums and they recommend to install W7 with the bios set up on EDI mode first. Once W7 is installed, change the registry to allow AHCI mode and reboot. While rebooting get into the bios an set AHCI mode and reboot again.
Some other forums say to leave the IDE setting since there is no noticeable gain performance on mechanical hard drives, SSD hard drives will have a performance gain noticeable.
With all these said. Can any one post a procedure and ONLY the require drivers/software to have a clean install?

BTW - I considered a Dell before buying the g74sx but I was sold on the performance and price.
14 REPLIES 14

iraqiboy90
Level 9
HDD or SSD?

1. Leave the ACHI setting on, don't change it.
2. Install clean windows 7 64bit, if that's what you want.
3. If this is an SSD, install the drivers using the CD that came with the laptop (Install only what is critical, like VGA driver, sound, network), and restart twice. HDD: restarting once is enough
4. Install all updates, then restart [twice for SSD]
5. [Optional] Check your SSD speed running this command. "winsat disk" without the quotes. Then restart when finished.
6. Enjoy fresh Windows 7.

grungeboy2
Level 10
i would suggest NOT doing that.

it's a pain and it's pointless. windows 7 will install just fine with AHCI mode enabled. if you try to install with EDI mode and switch you will have problems. i had a similar issue recently and learned through personal experience.

if you want to do a fresh install go for it. get your Driver CD that came with your laptop. install windows 7. once that's done, insert the driver disc. the things i unchecked were NB Probe (Cpuid HWMonitor is better), i unchecked the ASDM thing, everything else i let install. including ASUS Fastboot.

one other thing i did was to not install the Asus Nvidia Driver. i grabbed a new one from the net and installed it first, then i installed the drivers from the asus cd.

JRd1st
Level 12
Resume from hybernate is gonna seem slow no matter what you do. The system has to load a 12 Gb hiberfil.sys and that takes time. My G74SX seems to cold boot pretty fast to me, but resuming seems agonizingly slow so I disabled hibernation (to get rid of that 12 Gb file) and I use sleep.

I guess slow resume is a bad side effect of having a LOT of RAM. Lol
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

Yeah. With my old laptop I used hibernation all the time because startup and such would take several minutes, but with my G74sx that's about 35 seconds so ...

Plus, every GB of SSD space is precious.

Hideaki wrote:
... Plus, as JRd1st said, every GB of SSD space is precious.

Actually, I didn't say that. lol But since you have an SSD I agree more than ever. I just don't like having 12Gb files hanging around, doing nothing but causing eventual fragmentation on my HDD. lol

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor

Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

Hideaki
Level 7
Heh, yeah, jumped to conclusions. Sorry.

MrAgapiGC
Level 13
Hi all

I want also to make a clean install. I have the G74-BBK8. these does not come with the cd. It comes nice with 2 hhd and the basic 560M 2gigs 128bits video card

The computer comes with a file that is call edrivers. I make the copy from 1 hdd to another, since i have to use x7pro to log my servers on the office, but i will pay for the OS ultimate in order to use both hdd in raid0 and boost the stuff for a while.

Any recomendation? i know that there is a threath regarding the drivers, but that is log.
Learn, Play Enjoy!

JRd1st
Level 12
Click the link "New Drivers" in my signature. There you will find an iso image of Windows 7 Home Premium, and updated drivers installation files for most of the drivers you need. Don't use the ones from the driver CD; they are old. You may need the driver CD for Intel Turbo boost monitor, though.

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor

Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

When I got my G74 the first thing I did was download and burn three things: Hiren's BootCD 14, Windows 7 w/SP1 (seeJRd1st's sticky at top of posts on these forums), and Chastity's ASUS Driver and Application disk (http://pcaudio.ath.cx/stuff/g74sx_driverapps.rar). Boot with Hiren's BootCD, load gparted under the mini-linux boot on Hirens, and delete all partitions on both HDDs installed in my system (including the 25 GB ASUS recovery partition: useless). Make new partitions the way you want them. Boot the Windows CD, format partitions NTFS and install windoze.

Then install drivers from ASUS Driver and Application disk. Be very picky here and don't just install everything: fewest is best for lean fast system. For a good guide describing what each app is on this disk, look at
http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus...are-guide.html

Theres a good discussion in the thread below which shows a list of which drivers and other "polluteware" not to bother installing:
http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showth...-Got-the-g74sx!

And of course, use some common sense too: if you have never had a bluetooth nor ever plan on getting one, do not install the bluetooth driver and software.
--
G74SX-CST1-CBIL, i7 2630QM 2GHz
32GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
GTX560M 3GB DDR5 (192 bit)
17.3" LED 1920x1080
Sentelic TP, BIOS 203
Debian Linux Wheezy (Testing) Kernel 3.2, NVIDIA 295.40