cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why won't the Latest nVidia 560m drivers Install?

Werewolf13
Level 7
I've got a G74SX-BBK8...

Got it in early Jan and love it. 1st Laptop, been using desktops since 1979 (TRS-80 - I'd bet not 1 in a 100 here even knows what one of those is). One of the things Igot into the habit of doing with my DT's were to keep the drivers up to date.

I was surprised when I checked the video drivers and found them to be a May 2011 version on a unit manufactured in Dec with the software loaded at that time.

WTF...

OK no big deal. Got the latest drivers from nVidia. Got thru the checking compatibility part and the drivers started to install.

Then BAM! Driver installation fail! Did Best Buy make a deal with ASUS? Or am I doing something wrong.

I'd like to get the latest and greatest as I bought this thing for gaming but not JOY! Can't install 'em - they just won't take.

HELP!

OH...

And yes I made sure I got the drivers for the 560M.
8 REPLIES 8

dstrakele
Level 14
Try this - Make sure there are no MISEXEC.EXE processes running. If there are, end them. Place the NVIDIA driver files in a simple directory path (like C:\NVIDIA). Then boot into Safe Mode, launch the NVIDIA installer, choose "Custom Install", and check the "Clean Install" checkbox.

Booting into Safe Mode will disable running drivers that could interfere with your NVIDIA driver installation. If this still fails, download and run Driver Sweeper. If any NVIDIA files show up, remove them. You could also run CCleaner.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Swampthing
Level 8
Ha... Used to play with a Trash 80 all the time at the Rat Shack and my first computer was a C-64. At 49, I guess I am a pretty old gamer... don't underestimate your audience 😄
Asus Strix G733QSA-XS99-17.3-Inch Gaming Laptop
GeForce RTX 3080, AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX
360Hz 3ms 17.3” Full HD 1920x1080 IPS-Type Display
Razer Deathadder v2 Mouse
Verizon FiOS: Gigabit connection

Swampthing wrote:
Ha... Used to play with a Trash 80 all the time at the Rat Shack and my first computer was a C-64. At 49, I guess I am a pretty old gamer... don't underestimate your audience 😄

Just turned 60 myself...

Gaming on a computer has come a very long way since 1979, that's for sure.

Though I have a g53, I had a similiar problem getting drivers for my 460m.

Try http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/drivers.

At first I had to used the modded inf but now everything works automatically and I can update using Nvidia's site.

Of course, this is assuming your installation fails because the driver package does not recognize or misrecognizes your GPU. Do you get any kind of error codes or error messages when the installation fails?
G53SW-A1
Core i7 2630M
Gtx 460m

smellons wrote:
Though I have a g53, I had a similiar problem getting drivers for my 460m.

Try http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/drivers.

At first I had to used the modded inf but now everything works automatically and I can update using Nvidia's site.

Of course, this is assuming your installation fails because the driver package does not recognize or misrecognizes your GPU. Do you get any kind of error codes or error messages when the installation fails?

The nVidia setup recognizes the 560m just fine. One of the stages is a compatibility check which passes. The installation starts, runs for about 30 seconds and then a message pops up that the installation failed. That's all the installation process informs me of. The driver installation failed.

I've never ever seen such a simple failed message. Usually when something will not install a more detailed reason is given. Not this time.

Since no recovery disk came with my G74 (bought new - and told by ASUS that they don't supply them anymore) I am reluctant to do something that may make it unusable. 1st laptop -I'm a bit antsy about messing with it. Seems a bit more complex than the home built desktops I am used to.

Maybe I need to set the setup.exe file properties to administrator or run it as administrator???

Werewolf13 wrote:
The nVidia setup recognizes the 560m just fine. One of the stages is a compatibility check which passes. The installation starts, runs for about 30 seconds and then a message pops up that the installation failed. That's all the installation process informs me of. The driver installation failed.

I've never ever seen such a simple failed message. Usually when something will not install a more detailed reason is given. Not this time.

Since no recovery disk came with my G74 (bought new - and told by ASUS that they don't supply them anymore) I am reluctant to do something that may make it unusable. 1st laptop -I'm a bit antsy about messing with it. Seems a bit more complex than the home built desktops I am used to.

Maybe I need to set the setup.exe file properties to administrator or run it as administrator???

That's definitely worth a try. Could it be that the 2 Gb 560m requires special drivers? Have you tried updating using the Asus website? (Although those drivers are probably ancient by now lol)
G53SW-A1
Core i7 2630M
Gtx 460m

smellons wrote:
That's definitely worth a try. Could it be that the 2 Gb 560m requires special drivers? Have you tried updating using the Asus website? (Although those drivers are probably ancient by now lol)

The drivers on mine are from May 11 - so by PC standards I'd have to agree. Ancient.

I've always built my desktops with ASUS MB's. Never bought a prebuilt DT before and never a laptop.

I'm a bit surprised that the drivers officially supported by ASUS are as old as they are. Disappointed would be more accurate I suppose.

matador
Level 7
I have the same BBK8 version, and had the same issue when tried to update Nvidia a while ago. Turned out that I was trying to install the 560 driver instead of 560M. Never had a problem since. Make sure the driver is for the notebook.