cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSD Advice required please.

yahya32
Level 7
Hi guys,

I am not too technical so I require some assistance, I have an older laptop (Sony) for which I upgraded the HDD to an SSD (Crucial M4CT512), My question is, my new laptop G751JT has a 128gb ssd, would it be a good idea to swap these two or will they not be compatible, or is the 128gb ssd better than mine?

my SSD
http://uk.crucial.com/wcsstore/CrucialSAS/pdf/product-flyer/ssd/productflyer-crucial-m4-ssd-7mm-9-5m...

and my other question is if I don't swap them can I swap the crucial 512gb ssd with the 1tb hard drive would it help/make any difference?

any advice would be appreciated,

thanks.

P.s how difficult would it be to swap out the BD drive for a BDRE drive?
4 REPLIES 4

Swarmy
Level 8
I would open up the bottom of the lappy and see what SSD you have in asus. If its the m.2 form ssd I would keep that because it more then doubles what your other ssd will be able to achieve due to m.2 ssd running on pci express and your ssd being a sata3. As to replacing the mechanical HDD I dont think its worth it due to that slot being only a sata2, so you will not get full speeds out of it.

fidelity101
Level 7
You CAN install a third drive (SDD) next to your M.2 drive in Bay 1. Look in the threads and you will see various pictures on how to connect an SSD drive to the SATA3 port in Bay 1 while the M.2 drive is also in the bay...meaning two drives are sharing the space.

Buckeye8084
Level 7
Sorry to piggyback on this post but it relates. I am all set to purchase same laptop that the OP has from Amazon.com U.S. I called them and they couldn't tell me what type of SSD it was. They transfered me to ASUS customer support and they couldn't find the model # of G751JT-DH72...smh

How in the world do you find out what kind of SSD it has without forking out $1750? : (

Swarmy
Level 8
From what I have been able to research JT models come with a 256 gb SanDisk X300s SATA3 drive, not m.2 ssd. I would get the lappy without it and and my own later, thats what I did.