cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacing DVD drive with a Blu-Ray Drive on G75-VW

bloodruns4ever
Level 7
Ok so, couple of questions. I just bought an SSD and now I'm interested in seeing if I can get a blu-ray player in my laptop rather than the pre-installed DVD drive. So:

1. Is it possible to replace the DVD drive with a Blu-ray drive?
2. If so, how difficult is it?
3. Can you provide any instructions/tutorials on how to go about doing it if it is possible?
4. Can you recommend a good Blu-ray drive?

*side question, any other idea on how I can get the most out of my laptop besides an SSD and Blu-ray drive?

I believe that's all I needed to know. Let me know if you have any questions or need to know anything else, thanks!
8 REPLIES 8

Clintlgm
Level 14
Yes SSD is the one you really notice.
Yes you can put in a BR, Mine came with Mat****a BD-MLT UJ240AFW. Look this one up and match the form factor
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9KHrJKInmA this video is a complete disassembly. Swapping out the DVD for BR is obvious once you have the unit out of the notebook.
More that 16 GB of RAM is useless, unless your running a bunch of VM.
Here is a great link for these notebooks
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Clintlgm wrote:
Yes SSD is the one you really notice.
Yes you can put in a BR, Mine came with Mat****a BD-MLT UJ240AFW. Look this one up and match the form factor
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9KHrJKInmA this video is a complete disassembly. Swapping out the DVD for BR is obvious once you have the unit out of the notebook.
More that 16 GB of RAM is useless, unless your running a bunch of VM.
Here is a great link for these notebooks

Great answer! Super helpful! First off, wow that looks super easy to take out. Only one screw once you take off the back panel, that's perfect. Second, could you explain form factor to me? I'm not sure what you mean by that.

Well I'm not sure either since I haven't done one on this notebook, Seems that some are thicker than others? Probably a quick call to tech support or better yet pm cl-albert for an exact answer
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Great thanks, I just sent him a PM

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
bloodruns4ever wrote:
Great thanks, I just sent him a PM

Hi,

Saw your PM and thought I would just reply at this post if this sounds okay.

Anyway, haven't been very involved with DVD drive upgrades, so you probably want to check with others too, but there is a post below to report the G75VW uses a 12.7mm (thickness) optical drive form factor which agrees with my information and it's a SATA interface too if it matters.

It's not likely the blu ray drive you get will have the correct faceplate or bezel for your notebook though, and the bezel from your current drive may or may not work (?), so one thing to watch out for.

Also, if you're a worrier like me, it's a good idea to have some options in case there are any problems to get the blu ray drive working especially if the price is significant.

Well, hope this helps some and we can get more info from others.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?35598-ASUS-G75VW-AS71-ODD-(optical-disk-drive)-CD-DVD-not-w...

SpasTaz0917 wrote:
Hello 🙂

The ODD is very replaceable.

1. Pop the back plate open
2. Remove one screw.
3. Push the metal piece from where you removed the screw.
Or simply pull it out. I mean the ODD
Voila! Your ODD is out.

4. Remove the "door" and unscrew the metal thing.
5. Put the stuff in the new ODD.
6. Put the laptop back together 😉
The form factor you should get is 12.7mm
They're fairly cheap, on eBay or retailers.
So the question is want a blu ray drive or just DVD?

Edit - if you're in Europe there should be a 2 year warranty 😉

Ah sweet thanks Albert!

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
bloodruns4ever wrote:
Ah sweet thanks Albert!

Feel free to give us an update to know how it works out if you go through with it.

Also, you'll probably figure it out, but there's a bracket on your DVD drive to secure it to your notebook that you can unscrew and transfer to the new drive, so don't forget to do this (otherwise your drive will fall out if you tip it to the side, etc.).

cl-Albert wrote:
Feel free to give us an update to know how it works out if you go through with it.

Will do!