cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacing dual mSATAs in G750JH-DB71 possible?

Ninjak
Level 7
Has any US-based G750JH-DB71 owner or reseller swapped out the stock raided dual 128GB mSATA drives with a standard 2.5" drive? If so, did you have to obtain another drive bracket from Asus for the bay? The proprietary mSATA board didn't appear to be housed within a bracket on a JH video I saw. I already have a 480GB SSD I'd much rather use as a boot drive should I buy a DB71 to replace my G73JW, as well as plans for a faster data drive. I, like others, much prefer the Canadian DB72 configuration without the proprietary mSATA setup. I noticed that none of the customizing vendors offer replacing the mSATAs as an option. Although I'm sure Asus sees the setup as a main feature, I wish they'd release another US sku without it. Much as I really like the G750JH cooling system and can grab one for a few hundred dollars off right now, I don't want to be forced into using drives i don't need. Additionally, since they're not standard mSATA drives to begin with, I wonder if the board it's on can be shoved into a external SATA enclosure so that it doesn't go to waste. Thanks!
1) Asus G73JW-A1 🙂
2) Samsung Series 7 Ultra
2) Toshiba Satellite T235D-S1360
1 REPLY 1

RojasTKD
Level 7
Just got my G750JH and as there has yet to be anyone to give a concrete answer I'll try and help. Basically the mSata board isn't plegged into one end of the HDD connector. It attached to the connector and basically the the second HDD/SSD will plug into the mSATA bord.

If you remove the mSATA board you have no connection for either of the hard drive bays. I'm not sure if there is a conector underneath to plug in an other connecter. I could not get the mSATA board out, and didn't want to pull too hard and break it.

I think the best hope is that the two 128GB mSATA chips can be replaced with this:
http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-M500-240GB-6Gbps-Internal/dp/B00HBKN2GG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392017...