cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommendation For Larger M.2 SSD

BigMac74
Level 7
I have a G751JY that has the 256GB M.2 SSD and I want to get a larger one for more space. I'm looking for a 512GB or 1TB M.2 SSD. What would you guys recommend?
5 REPLIES 5

AQUASTEVAE
Level 8
there is NO question, the best ssd, the fastest ssd and the best ssd you could put in there is the sm951 pcie 3 x4 512gb ssd. google it. it smokes.
CoolerMaster Maker 5T - ASUS CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME - 65-inch UHD 4k SAMSUNG Q8FN - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - NZXT Kraken X72 - 10 SIRIUS LOOP/NZXT RGB Case Fans W/ HUE+ - Gigabyte AORUS 1080 TI EXTREME - 64GB GSkill TRIDENTZ NEO 3600Mhz DDR4 - 3X XPG GAMMIX S70 2TB NVMe SSD'S- 2X CORSAIR FORCE MP600 NVMe SSD'S - WD BLUE 8TB HDD - Logitech wireless KRAFT advanced keyboard - Logitech M570 wireless trackball - Dual booting WIN 11

joshindaphils
Level 11
While you will see an improvement over the sm941 you will only operate at PCIe 2x speeds when the sm951 is installed in your G751, you will want to look at the 2x performance of the 951 and decide if it is worth the extra money for you.

it was definitely worth the extra money, not only does it perform much better than the 941, but in the near future nvme will come out mainstream, and then this beast will be even a bigger beast. plus you can take it to newer systems in the future, where the 941 will be terribly outdated with newer systems in the future.
CoolerMaster Maker 5T - ASUS CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME - 65-inch UHD 4k SAMSUNG Q8FN - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - NZXT Kraken X72 - 10 SIRIUS LOOP/NZXT RGB Case Fans W/ HUE+ - Gigabyte AORUS 1080 TI EXTREME - 64GB GSkill TRIDENTZ NEO 3600Mhz DDR4 - 3X XPG GAMMIX S70 2TB NVMe SSD'S- 2X CORSAIR FORCE MP600 NVMe SSD'S - WD BLUE 8TB HDD - Logitech wireless KRAFT advanced keyboard - Logitech M570 wireless trackball - Dual booting WIN 11

joshindaphils
Level 11
I hear ya, but it is subjective hence my suggestion to evaluate for himself. Just didn't want him to see the PCIe 3x numbers and get disappointed after install.

I want one as well, it is still a about a 50% performance jump, however I am holding out for a 1TB model. I simply can't justify replacement cost for just more speed on top of a lot of speed hehe. Future use doesn't hold water for me as by the time I'm look to replace this pc undoubtedly the sm951 will not be the performance king.

*EDIT*

So just saw your benchmarks from the SM951 so it looks like real word (not published) it is only a 25-30% bump in performance. Still nice but it may be worth it to some to stick to the SM941 particularly if a deal is to be had.

joshindaphils
Level 11
So I need to redact some information regarding the M.2 slot being Gen 2 only. I've been parroting bad information. Over here https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?71603-G751JY-with-Samsung-sm951-pcie-ssd-and-new-bios-208-... aeolisio clearly demonstrates it is Gen 3 and full speeds of the sm951 can be expected on the g751.

Sorry about spreading the misinformation.