cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with system after upgrades Please Help!!!

emtunderwood
Level 7
Hello, I have a Asus G73JH-X3 which I have had for several years, I have had no problems with this system since I've owned it since 2009. Recently, I had some ram go bad so I upgraded it and everything went fine and system working great with 16gb of g.skill ripjaws. Also, I purcahsed a new ssd for windows and a new HDD for storage. I put ssd in 0 bank and HDD I 1 bank fired up the computer and installed a fresh windows 7 home premium on the ssd and everything went great. Upon windows booting now 20 seconds to boot down from 90 seconds with original HDD that came with the rig. The problem I'm running into now is that I cannot update windows due to slow wireless and network card response. I have a 30mbps down and 5mbps connection. I have installed my drivers from drivers disk that came with the computer and all goes well. But, windows updates time out and do not complete. I tried both wireless and wired connections and did some checking of my connection speeds and they are down to 125kbps down and .040 up. I don't know what the issue is because I put the old HDDs back into the computer and everything functions normally. My copy of windows is genuine and authenticated drivers are stock drivers from asus that came with the computer.. I just have no idea what is causing this.. Why is my network connection so slow now and if I put my old drives back in everything is working fine... I have looked into many different forums about this and haven't found any solutions...

Can someone please help me I'm so frustrated I don't know what to do or what's causing this...

Please help!!!!
7 REPLIES 7

emtunderwood
Level 7
Just a little more info... I have put a kingston hyperx sata3 6gb/s ssd in port 0 and a seagate momentus. 500gb 7200rpm sata3 as storage. I have changed the bios for achi in sata mode and changed boot configuration to uefi. I have installed windows 7 home premium onto the ssd and setup the platter drive as storage and set the boot sequence accordingly. Everything loads just fine until I try to install windows update my computer just sits there and the updates time out because my download speed is so slow... I have tried countless things to resolve this, reseating the network card, even using a USB network adapter and still yet the same thing really slow network speeds like now 1.25kbps down and .1kbps up. And here is the weird thing I can put the 2 old drives in the computer and it boots fine and my internet connection is running at full song... Does anyone have any idea what's going on? I have read in a few posts on other tech forums that say I should keep the drives in IDE mode but I don't know if that is valid because I change nothing in bios when I put the old drive in the computer and they work fine..

What do you all think? Please help!!!

billyray520
Level 10
Check your task manager and see if something is hogging all of your computer's resources after booting up. Also check the Windows logs and see if any info there in System and Application logs. It has to be some software problem since you installed the new Windows system. Do you have the Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver installed? Report back on results.
Asus Maximus V Extreme BIOS 1903, see specs above avatar.

Asus G73 jh A1 laptop, BIOS 213, vBIOS OD2, 8 GB Ram, 240 GB Intel SSD, 180 GB Intel SSD. Win 7 Pro. Purchased new from PowerNotebooks.com in May 2010.
(both have 1920X1080 hd screens, mine above, hers below )
Asus G73 Sw XR1 laptop 8 GB Ram, 160 GB Intel SSD, 80 GB Intel SSD. Purchased used >Ebay 1/10/13, Did clean install of Windows 7

Ok, what is Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver supposed to do? I have it installed with my basic drivers... I have checked with the software on my
older drives with what is on the new install and their seems to be nothing different other than software and services that I have added that are not with a clean install... I've talked to a few friends of mine and they are in conflict with saying that I may have to switch to IDE mode instead of achi or uefi I can't remember which is which... And their reasoning is that the transfer rate on the SSD Kingston HyperX is faster than that of Seagate Momentus or it
could be another configuration in my BIOS due to a particular RAID Setup.... But all I want to do is boot and store my OS Windows 7 Home Premium on the SSD and all my other storage on the Seagate Momentus....

Does anyone have any other suggestions.... I have ordered a new Killer Network card for my computer to see if that works, but I'm sure it's not going to because even a USB network adapter is still slow. Unless it's something in Windows... Heck I even downloaded the latest drivers for the internal card and updated them on a fresh copy of Windows 7 as well, and still slow connection speeds from any source of networking card, Hardline or Wireless..

I'm beginning to wonder if their is some sort of driver that I need to upgrade for the motherboard to support a SSD boot and a HD storage drive... I mean this makes no sense... I see several posts on this forum, videos on youtube that people are doing this without issue.... Just has me extremely concerned....

Can someone else shed some light on this please!!!

Thank You!!!

billyray520
Level 10
You need (A)dvanced (H)ost (C)ontroller (I)nterface AHCI active in BIOS for your SSD. It doesn't matter how fast your SSD is, it will be limited by the speed of your SATA ports, which I believe are SATA II on our G73s. I think you should use the MBR boot config not the UEFI. I don't see how any of this relates to your internet speeds, since you say everything is booting up fine. Have you verified that another computer has high speed internet, and that it is only your G73 that is slow?

Asus G73 jh A1 laptop, BIOS 213, vBIOS OD2, 8 GB Ram, 240 GB Intel SSD, 180 GB Intel SSD. Win 7 Pro. Purchased new from PowerNotebooks.com in May 2010.
Asus G73 Sw XR1 laptop 8 GB Ram, 160 GB Intel SSD, 80 GB Intel SSD. Purchased used >Ebay 1/10/13, Did clean install of Windows 7

emtunderwood
Level 7
I get the high speed connection speeds with my old drives in the computer, but when i put the SSD as a boot and the HD as storage and install a fresh copy of windows 7 and install all appropriate drivers my high speed connection is as slow as dial-up... But i take the new drives out and put the old drives in and boom high speed connection, take out old drive and put in new drives and boom slow speeds.. And yes, I have verified that I have a high speed connection with another PC, IPAD, IPHONE, and another laptop running wireless and they are working just fine...

billyray520
Level 10
If your G73 is working fine with the old hdds, then why not just take images of the old drives and restore them to the new drives or clone them?

emtunderwood
Level 7
IT LIVES!!!! IT LIVES!!!!!

I don't really know why this occurred unless it was some sort of conflict from the OEM wireless adapter that came with the computer and the SSD or what... I tried a fresh install again today with the old wireless adapter and still the same problem... I swapped the old out for a Killer-N 1202 and installed the drivers and vola!!! It worked like a champ!!!! So I tried to put the old card back in after everything updated and all my files and software and games installed to see if it still wouldn't work and nope it didn't... Also, put the old drives back in and the old wireless adapter worked fine... So I put the new drives back in and the new wireless adapter and its working strong... Windows rating went from 5.1 to 7.7 and for some reason their is new life in this old rig!!!! Thanks to everyone that responded and tried to help, every little bit helped...

Thank You!!!

P.S. Is it a possibility that it really could have been a hardware conflict between the Kingston HyperX and Atheros AR9002WB-1NG WiFi Card? Just curious!!!

Thanks