cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New G73SW-A1 Couger Chipset

Retired
Not applicable
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/sandy-bridge-sata-error-sata-3,12112.html

I just bought the G73SW and now I see this =(.. I hope they do something about it!
8 REPLIES 8

Pyro411
Level 7
If the G73SW is affected by it Asus will replace your motherboard under warranty with a new board revision. From articles I've seen Intel won't be replacing the chips until next month so OEMs like Asus won't have it until April, but that's heard 3rd hand so I'd take it with a grain of salt. Very likely Asus will offer up a Press Release on this issue with their official stance on it.

Retired
Not applicable
Hey looks like the G73SW is not affected. Just looked at the updated statement by INTEL and it says which Sandy Bridge CPU are affected. My SW has the i7-2630QM which is not on the affected list. put link below for proof. Looks like we can take a deep breath and be happy. lol

http://www.intel.com/consumer/products/processors/chipset.htm?iid=en_US_01_chipset+gg_headline

Retired
Not applicable
thats some good news to hear.. i hope to not see our cpu in that list.

Retired
Not applicable
Don't be angry. I've bought the G73SW, too. And i read this official intel declaration about the Intel Design Error in "Sandy Bridge". I understand the same like you. Then i Contact the Intel Support Chat. They says, that all Intel Chipset 6 Series (Cougar Point) are affected, and not only the listed CPU at this link in your comment. I told them, this would be missunderstanding what intel says. "Adolfo" only said, that alle Chipsets are affected, not only the cpu's that are listed. Hmmm, i'm very worried now. But i Think when the Chipset has the design error, whatever cpu you have. It's a pity for us. But lets wait a few days. Who knows what happens...

Retired
Not applicable
Well not much we can do about it. If all the chips are affected I'm sure Asus will let us know and tell us to send the laptops in to be repaired. There under warranty so they have to be fixed if there is a problem. I just got my laptop on 2/2, so I will be using mine until I hear something from Asus about it.

Chastity
Level 10
http://event.asus.com/2011/SandyBridge/notice/

Here's the official word from Asus regarding the Sandy Bridge snafu, and contact info regarding getting it replaced if you already own a SW.
[SIGPIC]Kicking Ass Since Today[/SIGPIC]

Retired
Not applicable
I've contact them since March, and have a case number.
But until now, there's no email from them yet. I've been told to wait till May, called them 2 more times this month, and still waiting for the freaking email.
I've been using RMA service from Asus before, it's fast and reliable.
But this time it's different.
Can anyone tell me, did you ever got your G73SW-A1 fix???

I know people who talk to ASUS and swap out in like 2 weeks started mif February...

the only affexted models were the A1, BST6, BST8, XRT1...

I got lucky the G73SW-3DE's didnt come out till MARCH 2011...ASUS waited for the FIX before launching the 3DE's ... They still put the "new revision" sticker though to avoid confusion...
-ASUS ROG G73SW-3DE-
-Intel Core i7-2630QM Mobile Quad Processor
-Intel HM65 Express Chipset +ICH10
-17.3" 1920x1080 120Hz Anti-Glare Matte Screen
-nVidia GeForce GTX 460m 1.5GB GDDR5 VRAM
-nVidia 3D Vision Active Shutter Glasses
-Creative EAX Advanced HD 5.0
-THX TruStudio
-8GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM (Max 32GB)
-2x500 Seagate Momentous XT Hybrid HDD
-Blu-Ray 4x Burner
-Logitech Performance MX Darkfield Laser Mice