cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New G53 owner!

chugaluginonmil
Level 7
Hey whatsup guys! So most recently I picked up a used G53sw-a1 off of craigslist for what I wanna say a steal. The guy originally wanted 400 but I got him down all the way to about 260 (finding all these problems on the notebook needed to be fixed).

Aesthetically, the laptop looked "ok", but definitely not worth 400, at least in my eyes. Right off the bat there was a streak of dead pixels on the left portion of the screen in which he claimed to be new prior to meeting me. Secondly, he claimed that he never opened the laptop itself when I can clearly see the keyboard was popped up and some of the pins weren't seated fully, and also the bottom half looked like it was pried open. So luckily, Asus support were still available and I called asking about global warranty and all that good stuff. Only reason why I bought the laptop is because they said the screen would be fixed under repair and also they'd be happy to return it to its original OS. (Dude put some "genuine" windows on it but on the desktop it read non genuine on the bottom right).

Took it home, played some games and it performed beastly. I followed through with all the benchmarks it was supposed to meet at, temp, cpu usage, etc and it seemed to be flawless. Luckily, the notebook itself matched the specs on its box and I didn't get screwed there

At this point in time I'm shipping in the laptop to Asus for repairs hoping everything goes well!

Oh, one more thing. My biggest concern about sending it in is being rejected the warranty. When I lifted the laptop and shook it a bit, I heard something loose near the left fan. Is that something that'd void the warranty? If so should I go in there myself and put it back?

Thanks for reading!
7 REPLIES 7

Gorman
Level 12
I would just leave it then insist they honor the warranty if they ask.

But if you want to avoid that you can fix the rattle... But just do it in a way that doesn't void the warranty.

chugaluginonmilk wrote:
Secondly, he claimed that he never opened the laptop itself when I can clearly see the keyboard was popped up and some of the pins weren't seated fully, and also the bottom half looked like it was pried open.

chugaluginonmilk wrote:
My biggest concern about sending it in is being rejected the warranty. ... Is that something that'd void the warranty?

It sure sounds like it...
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

cl-scott
Level 12
I have to say, based on what you say, sounds like the seller was lying through his/her teeth about not having opened the unit before, and odds are that will get flagged as CID (Customer Induced Damage). However, in such matters I'll defer to the judgment of the people who can actually inspect the unit physically. It might be the unit was sent in for repairs earlier, and that could explain the bottom part looking like it had been pried. The keyboard may or may not have a similar non-warranty voiding explanation.

hmm, thanks on your input guys. Well, we'll so what goes down in a matter of weeks. I just went to the warranty office directly and dropped of the notebook myself.

I've been looking around to what EXACTLY voids warranty, I'm quite curious. Alls I really come across is the repasting of the thermal applicant. Other than that, what voids the warranty? (well obviously intentional breaking, water damage, etc) Anything else?

chugaluginonmilk wrote:
hmm, thanks on your input guys. Well, we'll so what goes down in a matter of weeks. I just went to the warranty office directly and dropped of the notebook myself.

I've been looking around to what EXACTLY voids warranty, I'm quite curious. Alls I really come across is the repasting of the thermal applicant. Other than that, what voids the warranty? (well obviously intentional breaking, water damage, etc) Anything else?

For various reasons, generally relating to some people abusing the system, accessing any part of the unit that isn't a designated user upgradable slot/space will void your warranty. So you could do things like add RAM or a second HDD if there's a slot for it, but if you crack the unit open to say swap out the wifi card, repaste the CPU, maybe fiddle with the GPU in some way, then you're on the wrong side of things warranty wise.

Zygomorphic
Level 17
Don't open it. If you do, that will void the warranty. You are better off sending it in and talking to @cl-scott if any issues with the warranty department arise that you cannot handle yourself.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

Hmm, thanks for all the knowledge guys! Much appreciated. I just hope my laptop turns out good after having it checked out @ the milpitas facility.