cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New first time Asus g75vx upgrade questions

Austin
Level 7
I would like to upgrade my Asus g75vx i am on a strict budget and im not sure what to get i normally use new egg. i dont want to order something and have it be the wrong and incompatible.
im also not sure what upgrades or any of that stuff.
4 REPLIES 4

Hardliner
Level 11
Hi- Go here: https://pcpartpicker.com/ and view the "Build Guides" and start your own "System Build". When you do, it will tell you what is incompatible (with over a 90 percent accuracy rate) and it will also tell you from which e-tailer you can likely get the right components for the cheapest price, whether it is Amazon, Newegg, Superbiiz, NCIX, etc.

After that, you might come back here and show us your picks and someone here will likely double-check the compatibility of all the parts and may even make some suggestions that will enhance your build at a comparable cost.

Any preliminary questions?
¡¡¡ I__ju$₮__₩₳₦₮__₮☮__₱£₳¥__₮h€__₲₳₥€__₩i₮h☮u₮__i₮__hi₵₵u₱i₦₲,__₱l€₳$€ !!!

Clintlgm
Level 14
All you can really upgrade are the hard drives and RAM, Hwinfo64 will show you exactly what RAM modules you already have be sure to match them to any new ones you want to add.
any 2.5" hard drives/SSD will work Samsung Evo and Pro SSD seem to have the least amount of issues with these notebooks.
Probably Windows 8.1 is the best and trouble free OS, upgrade to 10 at your own risk Asus does not support 10 on these notebooks. Several users are successfully running 10 look through these threads for the drivers they have found to be successful working and prepare your self before doing the upgrade. Have all your win 10 drivers downloaded and ready to install/
Be sure to get an Image of your OS drive before trying to upgrade should you fail you will need this image to recover and get back to where you srarted from Macrium Reflect is a good Imaging program there are other some work and some don't work with UEFI/GPT disk/SSD. Be sure to create the USB Boot Media and test it to insure it boots. to do this with the USB Media installed boot hitting the Esc key that will bring up a Boot menu select the UEFI Macrium Reflect USB click on it and Macrium should open if it does great if not, go back and re create it again until you get a booting one that works. I have never had a failure but some do and if it won't boot and start the program your image will be usless.
Any other upgrades would require complete disassembly of your notebook.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

skidoo
Level 7
I have noticed a problem since upgrading to Win 10.
Everything works, and I am not sure which drivers are Microsoft only and which are vendor certified.
But all is good so far, running g75 vx.
But, to be safe, I ran a dual boot OS with win 10 and Win 7 pro.
(needed win 7 pro for some older software)
Listen to Clint, he was a big help in my problems at one point.

yes MS driver are certified drivers supplied by the manufacture, they are just mini version mostly missing features and MS doesn't upgrade them often minimum drivers for basic operations.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro